Has anyone else's baby done this when breastfeeding?

For the past month or so my daughter (4 months) has been fussing and sometimes full out crying when I try to breastfeed her. She does it until she starts getting some milk, but since she's fussing and not really sucking correctly, it takes forever for her to get some milk. It's getting out of hand now and I don't know what to do to stop it! Please help. (I think it's because she's gotten used to how easy the milk comes out of the bottle. We've been giving her one bottle of formula a day to help her gain weight and sometimes some pumped milk when we're out)

MollieDoll

Asked by MollieDoll at 2:33 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You might try pumping until the letdown happens and then put her on your breast. Also, check to see if she is tongue tied. The little piece of skin under her tongue should be low and not towards the tip of her tongue. This could be very frustrating for her and it may be why she likes the bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My DD has done that. I agree with you, I think they get frustrated cause it takes a while for the let down. It could also be colic.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:43 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• go t ur hospitals nursing class the people ther are very informative and u mught make a mom freind or two
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 2:45 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• This is why they say don't feed your babies alot with a bottle and then still try to breastfeed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• try expressing a few drops of milk by hand before you put your dd up to your nipple. my daughter would do the same thing and then i started doing that and it made it so she didnt have to wait so there wasnt a chance for her to fuss
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 2:48 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My son (4 months) has been doing that too, off and on, for the past couple of weeks I breastfeed about 99% of the time. But I thought he was getting milk. Dr. said it could be congestion. Not sure if I agree with him, though. But he may have been right. My DS had a stuffy nose. I thought he was on a nursing strike but didn't know why. I could tell he was hungry. He drank out of a cup and a bottle with out any issues. He's still does it some times, but I htink now it's because he want's to suckle, but doesn't necessarily want to eat, because he's tired and really wants a pacifier. Sorry I'm not much help. Just some things to possibly think about and let you know you're not alone!
    happymom7566

Answer by happymom7566 at 3:04 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Could be a nursing strike or flow preference. Either way the more she fusses the more stressed you become the less milk that flows. Both of you need to be calm. Try getting milk to flow before putting her to breast &/or attempt to breastfeed right before a nap or bedtime or wake her few minutes early from a nap and put her to the breast half asleep. Also, adding garlic to your diet sweetens the taste of the milk. Babies love garlic milk. Good luck and stay calm.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 7:54 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Keep breast feeding, my daughter was fussy in the beginning. I gave both because my breasts were engorged. But, this is part of an e-mail that I received from a LLL person that help me with my daughter. Breastfeed More Frequently - Encourage to breastfeed as frequently as possible. During the days you are with her try to nurse every two hours, at night encourage her to breastfeed every 3 or 4 hours. Remember that shorter, more frequent feedings result in producing milk that is higher in fat and calories than longer, less frequent feedings. remember that keeping at least one night feeding tends to produce larger increases in milk supply. Offer Both Breasts at Each Feeding - This ensures baby gets all the milk available and that both breasts are stimulated frequently. Increase Skin-to-Skin Contact - Undress your to her diaper and hold her close to your skin, either by holding her under your clothes or by removing your clothes.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 8:13 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• i had that problem too,try pumping some to get it flowing.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:57 AM on Sep. 12, 2009