Male kindergarten teacher question

My child has a male kindergarten teacher. He seems like a loving man and my friend's daughter had him last year and they had a lot of positive things to say about him. Our school is one of the best schools in the whole district. (Our district covers the entire county, which has over 2 mil people.) I don't think the principle would hire him if he was bad.

However, I have two reasons to worry. The first is that he is really young. My guess is 26 or 27 tops. My other reason to worry is that he has taught at three schools in his short career. I have heard that sometimes teachers who are bad or hurt kids move around a lot. I am especially worried because his first job was in another state.

Am I crazy? What can I do to find out more?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do a check on him. Find out the last school that he worked at and call there. I think if you speak with him and give him a chance and also see how your child is around him. You are right keep your eyes open for know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I would talk to the principal about your concerns.

My DS has a male kindergarten teacher this year as well. Except our situation is different then yours because he is much older and was my fourth grade teacher and to this day is my favorite teacher ever.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:40 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• You aren't crazy for being concerned about who is in charge of your child at school! If I were you, I'd google him and see what shows up. If you know where he taught at before, you can google that school and his name and see if anything pops up. Or go the "grapevine" way. Nib around and see what you can find.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 2:41 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I did a Google search on him and found his Facebook profile (which is set to private, so it didn't give me much to go on).

I also found school bored meeting notes from his former school district in Minnesota. In a section marked "Human Resource Decisions" it said his name followed by "Non-renewal of contract due to reduction in force." WTF does that mean? Non-renewal does not sound good though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Non-renewal is a nice way of saying fired.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Non Renewal due to reduction in force means, his contract was not renewed due to lack of school funding.
    Don't slander him. Find out the truth first.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• You say you live in a big school district. Young teachers in big districts can sometimes be "bumped" from school to school because they don't have seniority yet. What happens is that a school loses students and a teacher at that school ends up not having a position anymore. That teacher can come to another school and "bump" someone out for the following year. The person "bumped" is the person with the least seniority. That means they need to find another school that needs someone in their district or they might be out of a job completely.

My sister is a teacher in a big school system and she kept being bumped. She ended up teaching at five schools in six years. It wasn't because she was bad. She mentors new teachers now. It was because other people had more years in than her.

I think the reason people might be worried is because he is a guy. Find out why your friend liked him. He may have some good talents.
    mommyjenny2009

Answer by mommyjenny2009 at 4:07 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• If he's moved a few times already it could be because he's a newer teacher. Elementary teachers are a dime a dozen and sometimes, when school cut funding (your reduction in force) they have to let people go. Unfortunately, elementary teachers are often the first to go. I woudln't be too concerned because he's a guy. Lots of guys love working with kids. Maybe he decided for elementary and really wanted to teach 5th or 6th, but the only job he could find was with kindergarteners. It's good to be cautious, but try not to worry too much.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:14 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Would you even think twice if this was a woman??? Now just because it is a man he must be a pedophile or child abductor. Give the guy a chance. Talk to him about why he moved, if you don't like those answers ask the principal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I also found school bored meeting notes from his former school district in Minnesota. In a section marked "Human Resource Decisions" it said his name followed by "Non-renewal of contract due to reduction in force." WTF does that mean? Non-renewal does not sound good though.

That doesn't mean he got fired. It means they had cut backs and because he was a new teacher he got cut.

I would offer to volunteer in the class and spend some with him and the students. See with your own two eyes what he's like. There is no better way to see what kind of teacher he is.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:31 AM on Sep. 12, 2009