Should I be concerned if I'm not leaking colostrum in my third trimester?

I thought leaking colostrum during the last trimester is an important way to tell that you're ready to breastfeed. Does everyone leak in their third trimester? Should I be concerned if I don't? I'm just anxious about what to expect right now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• noi never leaked with either kid
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:47 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Not at all. When the baby is born, there is colostrum present and it is plenty for your baby. Put the baby to your breast and feed within the first 2 hours after birth. Then feed whenever the baby wants to feed (every 1 to 3 hours from the start of the feeding) and you will have enough milk for your little one. Don't try to put your newborn on a schedule. Frequent, unrestricted feedings will increase your milk.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 7:39 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I never leaked colostrum either. I wouldn't be worried if i were you, you should still be able to breastfeed if you want to. I totally agree with momx3qx1b about NOT puttting you baby on a scedule. I alwayd feed on demand and had plenty of milk. They newborn doesn't know how to tell time so i think feeding on demand is best.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I never leaked at all during my second pregnancy, and we've been breastfeeding for 5 months. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:50 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I didn't leak either and I've been successfully breastfeeding for almost 9 months now. If you are really interested in Breastfeeding you should pick up the book called The Nursing Mother's Companion You'll learn a lot about before and after breastfeeding, I still use it as a reference from time to time, or join Le Leche League. Good Luck and No worries :o)
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 11:10 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• As the pp's said, nothing to worry about. I didn't leak during my first pregnancy, I also didn't leak once my milk came in and I've been nursing dd for 29 months now. I'm eight months pregnant and it's funny because this time I'm leaking colostrum but that may have to do with the fact that I'm still nursing dd.
    yelli

Answer by yelli at 5:31 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• i leaked with both of my dd
    lilly2005

Answer by lilly2005 at 10:40 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I never leaked and my breasts don't grow but i have been able to nurse two babies just fine!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 10:35 AM on Sep. 14, 2009