My 9 month old will wake up in the middle of night crying. For comfort I have tried, rocking him, and singing to him. What else can I do?

I have a 9 month old who recently started waking up in the middle of the night. I have heard many different scenarios and ways of getting him back to sleep by listening to what other people suggest. However, it seems to be a different story with my child. For example I was told by something I searched through the internet that you should not give you baby a night feeding at this age only water if needed. Sometimes I will give him water but I typically don't try to do this because I don't want him to think that this is what he needs all the time at 2 a.m., 3 a.m. in the morning. With my older son I would let him cry it out to listening to music and that seemed to get him to settle himself down. I just seem to be having trouble and concerns on what I should do with my now second 9 month old??

Halfmoonwife

Asked by Halfmoonwife at 4:56 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He may be going through a growth spurt. My boys did at that age! I would try feeding him. Once my boys had the growth they went back to sleeping all night. It's worth a try. If he finishes an entire bottle, then I would say he needed it. If he only drinks an ounce or two, then you know he isn't really needing the food. My firstborn was waking up at night when he was almost a year old. We kept putting him back to bed. I would nurse him and he would fall asleep nursing, so I figured he wasn't hungry. But he was still up all throughout the night. Finally we started offering more food at dinner and at bedtime I would nurse AND give him a bottle. He started sleeping through the night again. He was starving!!! He eats like a teenage boy - it's insane the food he can put away. My MIL tells me my husband was the same way.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:05 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• my little one has woken up several times in the night,it was her teeth bugging her, sometimes i would get up with her and got to the living room and watch a show with her while holding her for about an hour,other times i would rock and talk to her.i was still feeding my baby night feedings that age.i just started droping her night feedings and she is 15months
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:48 AM on Sep. 12, 2009