Is it common as a parent or mother to feel aggrevation or tension in the head muscles when your baby cries in the middle of the night?

More recently my second son who is now 9 months old has been waking up in the middle of the night. It really seems to aggravate me and I start to feel frustrated through out my body. Is this normal? I do keep my cool by relaxing and easing my mind to music or by trying to tell myself that eventually my son will get back to sleep. I just wish what I knew what his mid-night cry meant so that I would have a better understanding of what to do. Although, I know it can be hard to distinguish a babies cry from what he or she wants or better yet needs. I just wonder what other moms or dads experience with the baby when they won't go to sleep. I know its common for babies to wake up in the middle of the night but what is common for how other parents feel or deal with the situation? Maybe an opinion or some outside information will help.....

Halfmoonwife

Asked by Halfmoonwife at 5:06 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ours didn't sleep thru the night at 9 months, but I am especially attentive because he's my foster son. I gave him a bottle to get him back to sleep. Sometimes I may have held him, but I had only had him 2 months by then. I know that some people can let them cry, but I can't. One thing about your situation is that 1) you have 2 children, and 2) have been staying at home since this second child. Becoming a SAHM is a big adjustment (was for me, I worked for years before staying home after children) and 3) having an infant normally leaves one sleep deprived, but 4) you also have a 4 y/o to tend to as well. I can imagine that you are exhausted, which can make one irritable and easily frustrated. You are handling everything well, but you might need a break. My family was good about letting me get naps when I got too tired. I knew these early yrs would pass quickly, it's what gets me thru sometimes. Hang in there, Mama. It'll pass.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:24 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• PS-I knew EVENTUALLY he'd sleep on his own. He's 2 y/o now and finally does. I still wake up when he cries, but now he goes back to sleep usually. It's just normal for me to want to make sure that he's OK.

PSS-What I lost in sleep, I gained in bonding. But I know having 2 is 10x harder than having 1. Good luck!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:27 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I would guess that is pretty common. My second born had colic, and there were nights I got SO angry when I had to keep getting up with him. Honestly, I believe it is us being impatient! They are interrupting our sleep - often it is MUCH needed sleep. It's crazy how impatient and I angry I can get, and my child is just a baby. I remember many nights rocking and holding him, and crying as I realized how foolish it was for me to be upset with him. He can't tell me what is wrong and I am his mother. I am the one that should be patient and calm! Hang in there! Try different things to help him fall back asleep. Eventually he will sleep all night! Although my 2 and 3 year old still have bad nights, especially when they aren't feeling well. It will get better and you will become a more patient and calm person, really!!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:57 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Of course it is normal! Your baby is probably going through a growth spurt, or about to have a major developmental change. Our daughter was 8 months old the first time she slept 6 solid hours; she was about 14 months when she started sleeping through the night on a regular basis.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:11 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Of course it's normal!! Everyone is human and can't take a lot of anything anymore. He's a baby and some take time to get over waking up in the middle of the night. Try keeping some soft music on in his room. That might help! And it's ok to want to check on him b/c (hopefully not!!!!) he might have trouble sleeping or getting a cold.
    QueenBee319

Answer by QueenBee319 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 13, 2009