what do you think of this?

A friend from my daughter's school mentioned this yesterday. The principal of the school was speaking and a 5 yr old kindergartener had mock her. The prinicpal got upset, asked that the boy report to the office. a 1/2 hour later the boy returned to class and was crying hysterically. Turns out the principal called the boys mother and gave him time out because of this.

I'm surprised of the principal's behavior since it's the boys first time at this school. He didn't know and now knows and will be deathly afraid of the principal because of it. I wouldn't be surprised if, he doesn't want to come to school anymore because of it.

What do you think?

happynewyorker

Asked by happynewyorker at 7:58 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• it was only time out. he has to learn eventually, why not nip it in the bud now?
    atlshine

Answer by atlshine at 8:12 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• This principal acted perfectly appropriately. The child was being a brat and had this punishment coming - if the parent thought it appropriate - then other people need to butt out of it. Hoodlums are raised by parents who fail to either see that consequence is necessary or don't have the balls to follow thru - sounds like that parent is getting a jump on raising a young man - not a hoodlum.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:14 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• He should know not to mock people anyway. He can't get away with everything forever.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 8:16 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I think the Principal did the right thing. Doing something your first time doesn't excuse it. The Principal handled it correctly. How, at 5, has the parent not taught the child manners? Why would the kid be afraid to come to school because he's being taught appropriate behaviour towards others?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:39 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• the principal did the right thing, my nephew has been in the office already a few times because of behavior, missing lunch and 2nd recess. also just because he is 5 and doesnt have manners doesnt mean his parents havent taught him manners there can be some other problem, so ya dont jump to conclusions.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 11:02 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I totally agree with the principal. Little monsters grow into big monsters. Sounds like the kid was starting as a little monster. Now, hopefully, he'll think twice before mocking anyone.
    Oh and BTW, bullying starts innocently as "I didn't know it was wrong" mocking.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• If the principal got permission from the boys mom to give him time out than so be it. I would let the principal give my child time out if they deserve it. Hey, I would rather have them have time out than be hit on their knuckles with a ruler like in the old days. Any one hits my kids will be smacked by me. I dont care.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 11:58 AM on Sep. 12, 2009