Lawsuit Question....

I just heard from my lawyer that he sent the demand package to the defendants insurance company from the car accident I was in.

My lawyer said it could a take as little as thirty days for them to accept or decline his offer and then he would go from there.

He also said general rule of thumb they ask for 2-5 times your medical expenses and usually settle for 3 times the medical expense amount.

How long did it take to get your settlement and how much did you get?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• 3 years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I was in an accident in March 2005. I'm still not done. The demand letter was sent, 30 days was given to respond. That resulted in a 2 hour questioning by the defendants attorney with my attorney present, as well as a stenographer. Eventually they settled, but my demand letter really didn't mean anything, because the amount of insurance the kid had was so low, that was all I could get. Now we move onto my own insurance of "underinsured coverage". I will get the balance from there.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:42 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• IT TAKES SOMETIMES YEARS, IF IT IS SETTLED OUT OF COURT MAYBE LESS. THIS OUT OF COURT OPTION IS USUALLY WHAT HAPPENS WITH MOST CASES, THE INSURANCE COMPANIES RATHER SETTLE OUT OF COURT THAN GO TO COURT.

Answer by older at 9:01 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My settelment was handled out of court. Just under two years to get it all worked out. I got 50,000 in to lump sums and I will get 500 a month unil the day I die. Obviously it was a very bad accident for me to get a settlement like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• A lot of this depends on the other party. If it was a commercial vehicle, they normally like to try to settle as fast as they can. If it was just a regular citizen, it depends on their coverage, and their insurance company, and how bad you were actually injured. When my car was totaled, I got the money for a new car, my medical bills covered (for the hospital, and further check ups from there), and payment for the days that I missed work, and my rental car covered. So obviously, even though my car was totalled, I wasn't seriously injured, so I got the bare minimum of the deal.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:24 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Just curious, how much are you paying for all this?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2009