Did Cash for clunkers really help?

A vehicle that gets 15 mpg and does 12,000 miles per year, uses 800
gallons of gasoline.
(Government definition of a Clunker)

A vehicle that gets 25 mpg at 12,000 miles per year, uses 480 gallons a
year.

So, the average clunker transaction will reduce US gasoline consumption by
320 gallons per year.

About 700,000 vehicles were part of the Government's program, saving 224
million gallons per year.

That equates to just over 5 million barrels of oil.

5 million barrels of oil is about ΒΌ of one day of US consumption.

5 million barrels of oil costs about $350 million dollars at $75/bbl.

So we all contributed, through our taxes, over $3 billion... to save $350
million.

They'll probably do a great job with Health Care, though!

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 9:08 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Ahh, come on Carpy. At least our carbon footprint shrunk by less than an millimeter, right?

LOL, I have always maintained that government loves to step over dollars to pick up dimes.  I just wish I wasn't right.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:13 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• HELL no all they did was throw out cars that could have been used. either for parts or for poor ppl that need something to drive the kids around.. not to mention they ROB the hell out of you. my sister tried to do it. for ex they wanted to give her 3000 for her car. give her a car that was worth 8000 and try to charge 11000. its just a joke! they know the care was mark 8000 to begin with but since they ahve to mark it down the 3000 they just add an extra 3000 to make it seem like they are taking money off
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Many dealers are still waiting to get paid by the gov as they face closingbecause of thehuge gov debts they are carrying. What will healthcare be like?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:25 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• honestly i really dont want to think about that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• i think its good to get the crappy old p.o.s. off the road, im sick of looking at run down cars on the street, if nothing else it makes the streets look prettier lol
    Lovebeingmomto1

Answer by Lovebeingmomto1 at 9:31 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Well I certainly hope you liked paying for the view, because the money that is supposed to pay the dealers is coming out of taxpayer's pockets.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:41 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• yep im a taxpayer myself ty very much and me and hubby make over 150k leave it at that.. and we pay A LOT in ourselves and im not sitting on here crying over this b.s. oh and i LOVE THE VIEW and LOVE the view of my new cars and the new cars where i live but thanks :)
    Lovebeingmomto1

Answer by Lovebeingmomto1 at 9:46 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Well, as long as you are happy, that's all that matters to the rest of us. *eyeroll*

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:47 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• thats great! and i will 2 in my brand new car lol
    Lovebeingmomto1

Answer by Lovebeingmomto1 at 9:58 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I think it was an awful program! Not all of the cars were 'clunkers' as they would have you think. My husband works at a Lexus dealership and he personally had to destroy a perfectly good 5.0 mustang. They put a sand like substance in the motor to purposely blow the motor out, then send it off for scrap. Not to mention the fact that the people then purchased a Lexus of all things. He kept saying that any poor (or otherwise really) person would have loved to have any of the cars that were brought in on the program.

As far as reducing pollution.... what about the waste produced by destroying the 'clunkers'? What about the energy and pollution to create the new cars? It takes a lot to make a new car: mining, plastics, production, etc.
    Missbehaves

Answer by Missbehaves at 10:01 AM on Sep. 12, 2009