Stop Payments On Checks

About a week ago, I put a stop payment on a check because the company refused to work out payments(this method would be the only way I could work out payments with them, or if it went thru and came back NSF). I discovered this morning that they pushed the check thru under their corporate name, NOT the name they do business under so the check went thru and overdrafted my account.

Does anyone here have experience with how Wells Fargo handles such things? I called them and let them know as soon as I saw it. But now my dd and I are completely screwed until this all clears up. I have the reference numbers and everything from the original stop payment and was charged for it, etc.....but this really irritated me. Since they used their corporate name and not the name they do business under, the check went thru.

I'm stressing out hardcore right now because I JUST got paid and now we have nothing until next payday(2 wks).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• The check was not made out to their corporate name, was it? Either way, it should not have gone through, because they document the check number and amount and all that jazz, although I don't think they make any garantees on stop payments. It sounds like Wells Fargo really dropped the ball. They will have to refund the money they paid out on a stopped item, their overdraft fees, and all fees you accrue because of it (so for example, if 3 more items debit your account and each of them charges you $30 for an overdraft fee theywill have to pay you back the $90.). At least that's what we did at the bank I worked at. It wasn't Wells Fargo, though.

Stay on their asses about it. Call every day and ask to speak to their operations superviser. Always have the reference numbers ready and if you don't get the answer you like from the supervisor, ask for THEIR boss's number.

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:12 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• The stop payment is tied to the check not the company it was made out to. Your bank should not have cashed the check. Contact the bank.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2009