How do i get my 2 1/2 month old girl to enjoy (NOT HATE) tummy time?

Hello all,

I have a 2 1/2 month old baby girl and she absolutely hates tummy time. Almost the second I lay her down she just starts screaming. I've tried motivating her with shinning/squeaky/crinkling/colorful objects but it doesn't work. i've tried laying her on the boppy so she's higher up and that doesn't work. she doesn't even like it on my chest unless she's really tired and just wants to sleep.

Does ANYONE have any advise. I'm scarred she'll never get her neck or arm muscles strong if i can't get her to enjoy it.

Please help.

yanni2b1

Asked by yanni2b1 at 10:27 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tummy time is the best position for the baby! I had a problem with my two kids going down for tummy time too. This is a position that presses everything on the belly, and it doesn't hurt the baby he/she just wants to be held.. I would continue putting her/him down for tummy time, but make sure you put her down at the right times.. never put him/her down before any meals.. this is one of the reasons why he/she is cranky.. Place the baby down after a nap! more energy.. I wish you luck and don't think it won't work, because it will just give it time mom! GOOD LUCK!
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 11:53 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My oldest hated tummy time! I found that if I laid her on the floor on a blanket or on the bed and the laid with her and talked and played she liked it a little more. I wont lie though she didn't do a lot of tummy time and she was just fine she was sitting up by 5 months on her own, so don't worry to much but still give it a try.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 12:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Give her time. Neither of mine liked it at all until they started rolling over on their own. Then it was tolerable, but still not preferable. My son is 2 now and is just fine developmentally, never had any delays in his motor skills/muscle strength or anything. My daughter is 5 months, and like I said, she'll tolerate being on her tummy for a little bit if she rolls over, but after a while she starts screaming to be put back on her back (she only rolls back to front so far). Keep trying just for a few moments at a time, and one day she might surprise you. Or you might just look across the room one day and see her smiling at you from her tummy.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:26 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• i feel as if almost all babies HATE tummy time. (mine sure did). my ped. said it was like going to the gym for infants. it's a work out...they are working on getting their muscles strong enough so in a few months they can sit and crawl. it's painful for their little bodies. i would just keeping working on it. a few times a day even if it's just for a few minutes. also try rolling a blanket up and placing it across her chest and under her arms. it'll help hold herself up and place some toys in front of her. she may not grab them or play with them but it gives her something to look at while she's just lying there getting stronger.
    smb87

Answer by smb87 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My son sure didnt like it either...he woul last 2 minutes tops..so i did that a few times every day. until he got really fussy....eventually around 4 months old he was rolling over onto his stomache and then he hated it when he got there...but now he will be on his tummy for quite awhile and is picking his body up more and more now....i think the key is not to keep them on it for a long time, try it every day, and eventually they will be doing it themselves before you know it!
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 10:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2009