Cant get 8 mos old to stop wanting to nurse at night????

My littlest daughter just turned 8 mos old yesterday and she still wants to nurse every 4 hrs at night. I try to rock her back to sleep when she wakes up in the middle of the night, I tried to let her cry back to sleep, I even tried giving her a sippy cup with apple juice to quench her thirst but nothing has worked. She just wants to lay in bed wiht me and nurse. I am happy she wants to be close to mama but I am getting no sleep......I suffer from terrible headaches and my neurologist said I need to get some sleep also my babies dr said that she is just waking up and wanting to nurse out of habit...how do I break this habit????I am at a loss and would love some positive advice. Thanks in advance mamas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Lol, isn't it amazing that even when we as mom's know something(like you do having already done this with the older daughter) we need reasurrance that we're not doing anything wrong. I'm the same way and my hubby always gives me crap for it. He's like "You know it's normal and your doing the right thing why do you need confirmation?" I think it's a woman thing. Your doing great momma, tell everyone else to mind their own beez, and try and sneak in some naps. ;)
    yelli

Answer by yelli at 5:57 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Is daddy in the picture? With my son I couldn't be the one to get him when he woke up... then he HAD to breastfeed, even if he wasn't hungry. So DH was the one who had to get him back to sleep and it worked well after a few nights of protest.
    Even still at 13 months if my son wakes up he will NOT go to sleep for me (even though we are done BFing... I tried and hour the other night, DH took over and had him sleeping in 10 mins)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:37 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• YEa daddy is in the picture but he works everymorning and I only work 20 hrs a week so i have always dealt wiht the kids at night. He did try the other night because I was so exhausted but she refused for him too. I am at a loss.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Is she on solids as yet? If she is then give her a solid meal just before bed time, then the breast. It worked for me.
    hi_dear

Answer by hi_dear at 1:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My son ate during the night.....but he would eat and then go right back to sleep. Eventually, at 12 months he started sleeping through the night. I think at 8 months he was teething but before that he slept through the night and then like a clock-at 8 months old the teeth started coming and sleeping through the night went out the window. lol It gets better-I also felt that if he woke up and was hungry then I would feed him. A breastfed baby eats only when hungry IMO.

Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• i'm going through the same situation with my 8 1/2 month old daughter......i think it is a comfort thing...... she wakes up in teething pain and just wants comfort...to her its a boob
    rowdy24

Answer by rowdy24 at 4:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• It's still pretty normal at this age. Why are you not able to sleep while she is nursing? Are you having trouble finding a comfortable nursing postition?
    yelli

Answer by yelli at 5:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• have you read "the no cry sleep solution"? you can probably get it at your library. you have to really work at it though, is the thing. i wasn't committed enough and my son kept waking frequently until he was about 17 mos old. he woke me up every 2-4 hours for all of those months. i kept just wanting him to start doing it on his own and he finally did. but since you have these extra reasons to motivate you, maybe you could find success with the no cry sleep solution. good luck! i hope you can get some much-needed rest! (btw i think it is VERY normal to have a child this age waking that much to nurse. a lot of people will try to make it out like it's weird or you are doing something wrong but i disagree with all of those people. just my opinion.)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 5:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• i have also always done 95% of the night time parenting. that is one downside to breastfeeding that it is usually only the mom that baby wants at night. of course i think it's still worth it to breastfeed but there is no use lying about that downside. lol.

i also tried the food thing before bed and it never worked for me so i just decided it was habit, and not hunger, making him wake up.

he is 23 mos now and still wakes up ONCE per night but i'm sure you feel right now like once per night would be AWESOME! :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 5:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Thanks ladies. I just feel like I am doing something wrong. My first daughter waslike this also though. She is 4 and still wakes up at night to come into mom and dads bed around 3 30 every night. I know that nursing is comfort and I love breastfeeding but I just feel like a failure because my 8 mos old still wakes up 2-3 times a night. I can sleep when she is nursing its just getting woken up 3 times a night that is killing me. I would kill for an 8 hour sleep stretch lol. I am also getting alot of pressure from my mom to stop nursing at night. I am not sure y though. My youngest has slept over wiht my mom twice since she was born(one night hubby and I had a wedding and the other night was for a bachlorette party)..I dont plan on leaving her again for a long time. I am just frustrated and again feel like a failure. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2009