Umbilical cord has fallen off, dried blood on belly button.

Ok. I feel like a first time Mom again LOL. My 3rd lost his umbilical stump a few days ago, no big deal. At the time we noticed a little bit of blood again didn't seem like a big deal.

Here it is a few days later and he continues to have blood on his little belly button. It doesn't seem to be actively bleeding it's certainly not a LOT, but there is definitely a fair amount of dried blood around his belly button and I cannot for the life of me remember if the other two kept bleeding like this after they lost their umbilical stump. It's naturally leaving small spots on his clothes and diapers, I can't decide whether to start allowing his diaper to cover it, or just keep it below, I've been keeping it below so it hopefully won't irritate that little belly button.

Ack.. I feel like a first time Mom with this question, but I can't find online answers, Will call Dr on Mon just doesn't seem like an emergency.

WillDoDa

Asked by WillDoDa at 10:55 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have a newborn that is 2 weeks and 2 days old! When she was 12 days old her umbilical thing fell off, I brought her to the doctor for her 2 week checkup and told them it had fell two days ago and the pediatrician said it is normal for it to bleed for about a week. But if it is alot of blood I would definately call the doctor. Just keep cleaning it.
    mommyamber2009

Answer by mommyamber2009 at 11:00 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My daughters did that too, her doctor said to just clean it off once a day with a little alcohol.
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 11:40 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• my girls are 5 weeks old. their cords fell off a few days before there 2 week check up and it was bleeding a lot and when we went to there check up the dr put silver nitrate on it and sealed it up. she said it was not a big deal but the meds would just help it heal up a little faster.

twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 1:05 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• OP ~ Perfectly normal. Clean the area with a cotton ball and rubbing alcohol and let it dry naturally. Try to keep the diaper folded down so that the belly button is exposed to air and not being irritated by the diaper. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Thank you so much. I have two other kids, one of them is only 2, but this stuff that happens when they are so little happens all so fast that I had completely forgotten whether it was normal or not!
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 9:37 PM on Sep. 12, 2009