Size Problems

My little brother will be 4 in october and wears a size 12 months. He's very tiny for his age. He was born at 35 weeks. When he was a baby he never drooled or cooed. He didn't sit up on his own till after he was a year old. He didn't walk till he was almost 2. He can speak a few words but not many you have to know him to understand what he's saying. Doctors are puzzled by what's wrong with him my mother has taken him to over 10 diffrent kinds of doctors. And there has been no clue on whats wrong with him. They say he dosen't have dwarfism or anything to that nature. He's the sweetest little boy in the world and steals the heart of everyone he meets. I was just wondering if there was anybody else out there with some of the same things?

Aidensmommy628

Asked by Aidensmommy628 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• u do know there are A LOT of different type of dwarfs. U should look up all the types. he look like a "tiny" human but there is a type of dwarfism that is rare it starts with a P. i cant remember what it is. but if he has it u need to get his brain checked just in case
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My friend's niece was like that too, she is still super tiny, but completely healthy and thriving. I suppose if the family is concerned or wants to see if there are more answers you could always see a specialist or at least get a second opinion. My friend and her sister took the little girl to about 5 different doctors to be sure they had all the answers...and there really were none.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I see that he has been checked by numerous doctors, if they are not concerned, I guess the best thing to do is to just do the best you can and be sure to watch for any warning signs. I think that as long as he is happy and healthy that that is the main thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• my neice is small for her age as well..she is 4 as well and wears 18 or 24 months it varies.....
    SPC.armywife

Answer by SPC.armywife at 7:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• quoting "u do know there are A LOT of different type of dwarfs. U should look up all the types. he look like a "tiny" human but there is a type of dwarfism that is rare it starts with a P. i cant remember what it is. but if he has it u need to get his brain checked just in case"

I was going to say something about this as well. Are you talking about Primordial dwarfism? It could be a number of things.
    victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Since I am the mother of a child with dwarfism I thought I'd chime in here. There are over 200 KNOWN forms of dwarfism, there are probably of hundreds of unknown forms as well. As much as we'd all like to think that our Dr.'s have all the answers....they don't. There are just not enough experts in the field due to the rarity of it, roughly 1 in 20,000 births. We have 3 specialist that we see in order to ensure my sons development. I'm happy to say that he's doing great!

Anyway, your mother should check with a genetics Dr. They can do simple blood work and xrays to help with a dx. I'd also start looking into the LPA medical advisory board(would help you find a Dr. if in fact he does have some form of dwarfism)

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions, I can tell ya everything I know about dwarfism :)

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:21 PM on Sep. 25, 2009