Vaginal ultrasounds to detect cervix length

Hi

Could you help me.

I had a cervical length scan last week via vaginal ultrasound. She measured my cervix to be 48 mm 4.8 cm with no funneling or anything like that. I was wondering, does the ultrasound detect if the external os is open because my doctor said that my external os is open to a finger but it is still shut. My question is if my cervix length is 48mm is this not including the part that is open or is it?

If it is including thr part that is open then my cervical length must be half that beacuse the doctor was able to put his finger slightl in my cervix? Im nearly 18 weeks now

Thank you

Hannah

han64

Asked by han64 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your best bet is to call them and ask!

But I a curious as to...Why?

What is the purpose of the test? Do you have cervical problems from a surgery and they are trying to determine if you need a cerclage?
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:18 AM on Sep. 13, 2009