My boss is more concerned with her personal life and career advancement...

I have worked for my current employer (private preschool) for over 2 years. I was hired by a previous Director. A year into my employment she was offred a promotion. Our Assistant Director took her place. Since then my new boss (of 18 months now) has ran the facility into the ground! There is a constant stream of complaints. Which are consistantly blamed on the staff. However, the complaints are brought to the staff's attention concerning the management or lack there of. Parents feeling as though the Director is not available to them. Complaints vary, such as; she always has her baby with her and I don't want to intrude, she's never here, she doesn't return my calls, she promises to fix my problem and never does, and so on.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• Sounds like you work for the once great not crappy preschool my kids went to last year. I pulled the last one out 5 months early I was so disgusted.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• (cont.) The parents aren't the only ones with complaints. The long time employee's have had to stand by and watch a #1 in the state preschool fall apart. Quite frankly we're tired of seeing it and dealing with an immature and self centered little brat for a boss. We are given supplies about once every 2-3 months to run our classrooms,should be 2xamonth. Yet, we are constantly criticized about our art work looking unfinished, or the classromm group projects not being completed properly. Mind you, my co-teacher and I now refuse to pay for any materials to keep our classroom running smoothly. After a year of paying out of pocket we have decided to just let it be and see where it goes. We had a meeting concerning the lack of crafts and projects being done and since then our boss had mase our work environment very hard to handle. I'm sure she didn't expect to hear what we had to say! We weren't holding back but stayed professional.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Is there any above her that the parents can call and speak to? I would definitely tell them to call and voice their complaints. I am sorry that you are dealing with this, I know that working for a boss like that is not only aggravating and infuriating, but also nauseating. I had a wicked manager for a year and a half or so, thankfully the horrible wench got a promotion and her nasty ass is gone. Hopefully the girl you are stuck with will move on to make someone else's life miserable here soon. Best of luck darlin, just continue to do your best and be empathetic and compassionate to the parents who confide in you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Sounds to me like each of you should call HR. She seems to be a wickedly miserable person and wants everyone to be as unhappy as she is. sorry hon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• that just plain sucks. Do you have parents who are starting to figure it out? Do you have a volenteer team? A PTA like group? Can you, the staff, go to them and see if they can force her to make changes? If no other option, I would start looking for another job. I am enough of a bitch that when I did leave I would send a note home to each parent I could about why you had to make the choice to leave. Unprofessional? yes, but the parents have a right to know the concerns of the teacher who are teaching the class too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• (cont) I have given out the Corporate phone number numerous times. Some parents have even called the State Board of Education and Licensing on her! We lost 20 children just last week! I'm taking time off to regroup and then I'm giving my 2 weeks notice the day I go back.

I didn't mention before that I'm pregnant and she has made snide remarks about my "condition". She can no longer accomidate my schedule and has decided to remove me from my classroom and place me in another class that involves heavy lifting of children all day, weighing between 20-35 pound each. I have been ordered to not lift anything weighing more than my purse! When I talked to her about my health situation she smiled and said she was sorry but thats good for her and then announced she was moving me into a different classroom. She had been avoiding e ever since. I just don't deal with immature poeple very well. I am also worried about the children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• No, we have a corporate office that regulates every thing. And they have been up her a$$ for months now. She over charged parents (myself included) for summer activity fees and then none of the field trips were executed because they couldn't "afford" it! The children cried about it every day again mine included. We all felt jipped! There were lot's of complaints about that situation and we lost a lot of families over it. It didn't seem to phase her though.

I have spoken to the proper people over her head and have told them I am going to announce my 2 week notice after my time off, and why. Then I am going to find an employer who respects me as I do them! I've had enough!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Have you tried calling the county or state about her? I would assume that maybe she or the day care centers daily operations can be investigated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• It sounds like it is time for you to start a stealth job search

Answer by rkoloms at 4:05 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Sounds like you should breakaway. No Pressure just sharing some information.

I couldnt stand having a boss after being a stay at home mom. Needles to say I left and came back to my babies.

Im happy to say that my last employment helped me see alot of what Robert Kiyosaki talks about.

Really if you didn't have to work,would you work there with that boss?

Anyway. If you are the least bit interested let me know.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 4:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2009