Pagan Radio Network & Jesus...

I have PRN on my computer. I love it. I listen to it all the time while I am working. But this morning I heard 2 different songs about Jesus. And yes, there was no mistake that's who they were praising, they both used his name...

Now, I understand that there are a few Pagans that see Jesus as a God, like Christo-Wiccans, but this was a little offputting. I mean, isn't the point of Pagan Radio to give the rest of us something to listen to? What do you all think about a Strictly Pagan Radio paying songs of praise to Jesus?

Honestly, it didn't really bother me at the time, but then as I thought about it, it just got stranger and stranger in my head. If I wanted songs about Jesus I would listen to Christian Radio... Not Pagan... Make sence?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That does strike me as odd. Could there have been some specific purpose behind it? Perhaps a segment of comparative religious music or something? It is a nice idea I suppose to try to include any god that followers might use, but since there are so many other stations for songs about Jesus - & especially considering that more than a few Pagans have some issues with the faith they were forced to follow as children - it seems an odd choice.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My first thought is that it probably alienated quite a few people. But what was the context of it? Were they purely Christian spirituals or was it more of a Coexist theme? Or even a mocking one?

I doubt they play Polkadot Cadaver on Pagan radio, but they aren't the only band with lyrics like this:
    Do you remember on that day?
    We took you down off of the cross
    And shot your ashes into space
    Oh what a waste of time to believe
    You would ever come to life
    The resurrections were all faked as
    The earth trembled and quaked
    And all the stars fell from the sky
    As the pagans began to smile and sing
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:26 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• No no... It was nothing like that NP... It was a beautiful couple of songs, and they were far from moking. The one was something along the lines of "Thank you, Oh Jesus, for today's blessings" It was without a doubt praises.. I wouldn't listen to anything that I felt was intolerant... I can't find the "just played" list they used to have on the site or I could probibly give you the names... And as far as I know there wasn't a theme. It was mostly just a good mix of songs... But still odd.. I mean, that would be like playing a song about the Goddess on Christian Radio... Oh, and they were like an hour apart in play time, not back to back... So they were both just kinda in the mix... weird though.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• That is a bit weird. I probably would have raised an eyebrow too.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I wonder why they would play christian music. I love PRN. I listen to it when i am cleaning my house. Maybe you should write to the owners of the station and just ask them point blank why they played it. it wouldn't hurt to ask. It's not like your getting your feathers ruffled over it, it's just a simple question you'd like to know. I'm sure they would explain their playlists and what their purpose is behind playing that music.

I guess in their defense, if you think about it, once in a while I will be listening to a xtreme rock station out here and they'll throw in some rap type rock, which really isn't my thing, but it's "technically" rock music. So maybe as you stated, some Christian Wiccans do honor Jesus and perhaps they wanted to incorporate that themed music into their playlist to accomodate ALL of the Pagan beliefs which may include some Christian music.

Are there christian wiccan artists out there?

CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I'm a Christian and it strikes me as odd. I'd call the station and ask or complain.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Oh, I didn't mean it as a complaint... Just strange in my mind... That's all... I am guessing it was a Christo-Wiccan or Christo-Pagan song, but it was still odd.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:01 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• That is odd. There are lots and lots of stations for people to hear songs praising Jesus.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:31 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• yeah, it would seem odd to me. Perhaps you can call or write the station.. and just ask about it, not to complain, but just to see why. It may also be a joint station that is affiliated with a Christian Radio station that just mixed up the songs. Or like you said.. a Christian-Wiccan song. You may also be able to check out their webpage, to see what others are saying about the songs, and maybe get a feel that way.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Yes, I would think it odd too. We have so many christian stations where I am I get sick of it! But there is no place to listen to just Pagan music!
    NickyJamesMom

Answer by NickyJamesMom at 2:15 AM on Sep. 13, 2009