Military on FS? E-4 Family of 4?

Are there any of you out there on fs? If so do you mind telling me how much you get? We just moved to Fl and the price of living is CRAZY! We are so broke and might have to resort to this....................

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in About CafeMom

• When we moved to GA I applied for FS and we were denied because they said we make too much. We were also broke and I had just had a baby making our family size 4. Also my DH is E4.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Give it a try and see if you qualify. The people on the outside looking in are always the most judgemental.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• If you are in Jacksonville, I doubt u will get food stamps. U would qualify for WIC though. There is never any harm in applying. If you are in Jacksonville on Easton rd there is a store called Save Alot. (Save alots are everywhere) That store saved us more money than the commissary. Also on base the military member can go to finance class.

Darlinree

Answer by Darlinree at 1:54 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I was a military wife until my husband got out. He went to college and has a masters degree now since we got out, and we lived MUCH better in the military. I had 4 kids when he was an e-4 and then was promoted to e-5 while we live in HAWAII. Hawaii is a VERY expensive place to live. We were on WIC, but not food stamps. We were able to save $500 a MONTH for over a year so we had a nice savings when we got out. I think that most military families struggle because they don't budget the money that they get, and have too many credit cards. If you budget you can survive. We only had 300 a month for groceries and diapers and everything, and it was FINE. Also, we are vegetarian which is more expensive as we don't get cheap meat and such.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Dont you just love it when all the Civies out there think everything is free. After 18 yrs of Army Life I still having seen anything free and where tare the Kick ass hosues someone mentioned before. Please Someone Tell me where the free stuff is.
    As for my military wives out there dont even try to make them see things your way, they will never understand till they walk in your shoes.
    But Im still looking for the free stuff everyone has mentioned.I dont want to hear that Military wivies Bitch Bitch, because I dont think there is a Woman out there Military or Civie that dosnt Bitch about something. What would you call the previous post above this(Bitching,Complianing,know it all tyhat has never walked in our shoes that falls under the bitching catigory)...LOL..Hmm im off to go find the Kick ass houses that are for free and the other Free stuff we Military are s'pose to get.......
    msski

Answer by msski at 2:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I didn't say the houses were kick ass. Our house in Hawaii was falling down literally. Every time a big rain came the house shifted. I was just saying that if you budget your money then it goes farther, and it isn't so bad. We are worse off now than we were in the Army.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I am a military wife, and what (Civians) do not realize is our husbands work alot. If there is a Recall they have to go, commanders meeting, Physical Training, Basic work scuedule, longer hours due to manning, Deployments, and numerous other duties that they are required to do. Honestly does your husbands work for pennies, or so it seems compared to the amount of hours they have to put in away from their loved ones. Medical care IS NOT FREE! The insurance may be low but is still taken out every month. If you make $.01 to much you are denide from everything. Commisary, instead of tax we have a surcharge, which is basically the same. We may get cheaper prices on somethings but alot of things are the same price in the long run. Our husbands are fighting for your right to breath, eat, sleep and shit. So do not bash it until you have been in our shoes. We sometimes are the mom and pop of the family while spouse is on work duties.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Well, my husband is an e-4 and we have 2 kids, NO credit cards, our rent is LESS than our bah, yet.......we are still broke!!!!!!!! We do budget, never go out, dont do anything and we are B-R-O-K-E. Mostly because also, we just moved, and they have yet to upgrade his bah (we will get back pay) and really, my family will be eating spagettio's til the 15th......(yes I am grateful I have spagettio's) but its quiet f***ing rediculas!
    airforewifenmom

Answer by airforewifenmom at 2:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• agreed..military dont make great money.. period, and if they qualify..let them get the food stamps.. it hurts nothing.
    montanamommaof4

Answer by montanamommaof4 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• airforcewifenmom, where does your money go? the base pay would be more than we make now, and we are fine with 5 kids. If you just moved, there aren't THAT many expenses that go with moving. We were e-2s with 2 kids and had NO problems at all surviving on that. What do you budget for groceries? We only spent 200 a month when we had 2 kids and that included diapers for both. It just seems crazy to me that if you have no bills, only a car and insurance payment then where is all the money going?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Sep. 12, 2009