Catholics, do you keep holy water in your house? How long does it last?

I know salt is added to the water, does that keep it from growing mold? My grandmother asked me to get some holy water this weekend at Mass. She can't get out much. She is able to watch mass on TV and the priest comes to the building but she want some holy water. Do any of you keep holy water in your house? if so how long does it last? I thought about buying her a fountain to keep it moving so it would be less likely to breed bacteria. Would it be ok to throw some alcohol in it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• We keep holy water in our house. It's kept in the holy water bottles with a lid on it. I tilt it to my finger and bless my girls each night when I put them to bed. We've never had a problem with mold or bacteria. I think it's sweet of you to buy her a font.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 2:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I'm not Catholic, but I have holy water. I can say I have never had an issue with it growing things... Just keep it in a clean bottle with the lid/cork tight... If you want to get a fountain that would be beautiful, but I don't think it would be needed...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:38 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• It will be kind of hard for her to dip her hand and bless herself with the water in an airtight bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• No it wouldn't, just open the cork/lid, tip the bottle with your finger over the opening to get the Holy Water on your finger and then bless yourself. Replace the lid/cork after you're done...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Well you can always put it in a wide mouth jar... not hard! Or pour out a small amount in a finger bowl and keep the rest put away... I would assume she itsn't going to use it all at once. so only pour out a small amount at a time...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• If it's blessed by God, why would it grow mold?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• ANON IT IS BLESSED BY A PRIEST.

Answer by older at 2:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

I was under the impression the priest wasn't God. Or at least when I completed my Catholic education I thought the priest blessed and priest aren't God. Maybe I was wrong?

As for corks and lids and putting it on her finger like perfume, my grandmother is 89 years old, if she wants to dip up to her elbow I say let her do it. She wants to dip her hand not her finger. For her birthday in October I am going to buy her a font(hence the fountain) I really didn't ask the best application I asked if the salt was a way of preserving the water and if anyone had a problem with mold.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Anonymous
    If it's blessed by God, why would it grow mold?

mold is a gift from God! Ever hear
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• ...of molds used in medication
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2009