I am trying to make the math work, can someone help me.

So I keep hearing that people who are SAHM's should go back to work. Where I live there are very few professional jobs as we dont have any industry, only a university to provide services to. So most of our jobs are min wage or just a few dollars more than that. So 38 (because very few of those sort of jobs actually give you 40 hours, you might get overtime) at say, $8.55 an hour (Min wage here, one of the highest in the nation) is $325 a week. which means $1300 a mo before taxes. Taxes ect. take about 30% if you don't have any deductions is now $900 a mo. Now I have an outstanding bill that takes another 15% of my wages from a mistake I made several years ago , but I am not sure so now I am down to 700 or so and then I have to pay for childcare for a 3 year old, 560-800 depending on when I drop off/pickup. so I make somewhere between 140 and loosing 100 dollars depending on the month. Does it really make sense to work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• Why should SAHM go back to work? I work part time, but I have not heard anything about this before....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• nope, not at all. If you dont have to work, then spend your time with the kids. I love being a sahm.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:26 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• The people saying that SAHM's should go back to work are no one of any consequence. Just spiteful woman on CafeMom that want to tell everyone else how to live their life and not have anyone tell them what to do.

In most cases, it is not economical for a SAHM to go back to work (unless she was a professional). In addition, being a SAHM is a very noble cause and nothing to be ashamed. We should each have the right to raise our children as we see fit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I agree with the PP. If it's not for the money, then the only reson to go back to work is because you want to. I'm a SAHM because I would have to work FT to make any resonable amount of money and even then the amount I would make is not worth leaving my kids for that many hours a day.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 12:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• OP here, I have been reading posts the last few days that said SAHM needed to help their hubbys out if they were low income or having financial issues. And I just read a post where 2 replies said that the woman HAD to go back to work, one of them saying the SAHM was obsolete because family's needed two incomes. I was also told earlier this week that "daycare is too expensive" is an excuse not to go back to work. So this morning I worked out the math to see if it was really viable, and this is what I found.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• On another note, a sahm could go back to work at home. my aunt does in-home daycare. sure it takes some money to start up, but it lets her watch her own kids and make a profit.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• If you NEED the income then sure go back to work, if you don't and are happy at home then don't.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 12:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• A plus even with your zero net pay would be that you'd build up social security benefits. I went back to work for that reason.

Answer by Bmat at 12:39 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I work part time, but I would stay at home if I could. Do what is best for you and your family, let the self righteous bitches spew their hatred elsewhere. Most likely, those who are telling you that are SAHM trying to start drama anyway. Do what works for YOU, those who judge and try to tell you what to do are classless, childish, hateful and self absorbed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I am lucky and have had family to watch my child if I wanted to work. Even with help, it still wasn't feasible for me to work 40 hours at an $11/hour manufacturing job, pay for part time child care, and the extra gas to get me to and from work. Not only did the money not work out, I missed my son, he was getting sick from daycare (more money out of our pockets), and I was so stressed out I would cry. I am going to stay at home as long as we can make it work on one income. We have given up extra expenses like satellite TV and the home phone line, switched to a cheaper cell phone plan, budgeted our grocery bills, and stopped going out to eat as much. Also, I sell things we no longer need/use on eBay to bring in a little extra cash. That extra $100-200/month is the equivalent to what I would have left over if I worked full time anyway. That is how I help out, without paying someone else to watch my child.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 1:05 PM on Sep. 12, 2009