My daughter has a weight problem please read description before answering.

My daughter isn't like HUGE.But I want to prevent her from that.People tell me I should make her run.But it doesn't work fast enough.I just want her to be comfortable in her own skin.She already does sit-ups and push-ups and up-downs and she runs but nothing works does anyone know of a good diet plan or a fast working fitness course for an 11 year old?

CCCurstynn

Asked by CCCurstynn at 12:29 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• If I were you, I would consult her doctor before making any changes to her routine or diet, children at that age need to be monitored when things are changed in some way
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Wow you need to slow down mom. There is no reason that you should be that worried about your DDs weight unless a doctor has told you that she needs to lose weight. Youare setting her up for a lifetime of self esteem problems- and possible eating disorders. Most 11 yr old still carry a lot of baby fat and will until they hit puberty. Also, even for grown ups it is totally unhealthy to lose wieght to fast. Lay off her. If she's getting some exercise everyday (and I don't mean push ups, sit up, running but like walking to school and playing in the playground) and eating a decent diet without too many treats and sweets she's probably fine.
    mummy22kids

Answer by mummy22kids at 12:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Umm if you want her to be comfortable, why are you telling her her weight isnt ok? Because thats the message you are giving her by trying to get her to do these exercises. I would serve healthy balanced meals with reasonable portions and remove a majority of the junk food from the house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I also would consult with her doctor. Beyond that, a healthy diet and exercise regimen is really the best way to lose weight. It does take time, but rapid weight loss is not all that good for your body, and since hers is still deveeloping, you should be very careful not to do anything that is too dramatic or that could have unforeseen consequences. Her doctor can advise you on what is best(safest), or they should refer you to someone who can. How much does she weigh? Remebre, it is not weight but BMI that determines if you are overweight. Here is a site that can calculate bmi and has charts for the percentages:http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:39 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• This is just my opinion - but with the way you are acting, your daughter is going to grow up resenting you, and if your lucky that will be the only problem she has.

My mom pulled this crap with me, tell me I was fat and called me names.. it was worse then the kids at school.. its a good 12 years later and I still hate her for the emotional abuse she put me through, because that is all it is.

If you really want her to be comfortable in her skin (which, it doesn't sound like you do) then you would help her if she wants it, don't force her to do what you want her to do because YOU are uncomfortable with how she looks..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't force a workout regime on her. I'd have her run and play outside more, and cook healthier meals, limit junk foods(all children should have restrictions anyway). I think if a Mom is making their 11 year old workout because of a little excess weight the child may grow up to develop an eating disorder.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Teach good eating and exercise habits. You didn't mention what she's eating at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• From the research I have done it appears that what and how much you eat has a lot more to do with weightless than exercise. But exercise is the key to maintaining your weight once you have lost it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I don't FORCE her to do anything and she says she wants to do it and I tell he she is perfect in every way.
    CCCurstynn

Answer by CCCurstynn at 1:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I THINK AN 11 YEAR OLD STILL HAS BABY FAT SHE WILL LOOSE ON HER OWN, JUST EMPHASIZE THE IMPORTANCE OF A HEALTHY EATING HABIT AND EXCERCISE AND THE POUNDS WILL COME OFF. AFTER PUBERTY HER METABOLISM WILL CHANGE SOMEWHAT, GIVE HER A CHANCE SHE IS STILL A CHILD.

Answer by older at 4:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2009