Rice cakes?

My DD is 6 months old and she's been teething like crazy! I give her teething toys, frozen fruit cubes and NOTHING seems to work. I noticed that every time I eat a rice cake, she gets VERY excited and reaches for it. I was wondering if it was okay for me to give her an unflavored rice cake to chew on?

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think its ok...as long as you watch her like a hawk so she doesnt gum a piece loose...
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 1:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• does she have any teeth yet? she could just be interested in what you're eating. we use these rice rusks called mum-mums from walmart. they dissolve over time as the baby gums them, so there's no worry about choking. we also froze a pacifier and gave it to ours until she stopped wanting it.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:02 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• we also use hyland's teething tablets if it gets really bad; they seem to work most of the time.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I used to roll up a thin, wet washcloth and freeze it for my children. They loved chewing and chewing on them long after they thawed out and were just wet.

What frightens me about rice cakes is that little pieces tend to break off all by themselves, which could pose a choking hazard for your child. I would give her something special, and safe, to chew on at the same time you get yourself a rice cake.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:39 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• why not. DD is 7 months. teething also and i give her pretzel rods. once they get soggy enough they just swallow it. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Sep. 12, 2009