Sore throat

Well school has started and the first sore throat round is starting. Any suggestions for home remedies

kellibelle

Asked by kellibelle at 1:19 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Health

• I put cinnamon, allspice and cloves in a pot of water and simmer it on the stove to help make the house a bit more humid. (and it smells really good). I also make a big pot of mint tea (no caffeine) and keep that around hot and cold for people to drink. I mostly concentrate on keeping everyone hydrated and make easy things to swallow to eat.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Gargle with warm saltwater. If you can gargle without gagging, make a saline solution by adding 1/2 teaspoon salt to a cup of very warm water. Yes, when your mother told you to gargle with saltwater, she knew what she was talking about. It cuts phlegm and reduces inflammation. Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon salt in 1/2 cup warm water, and gargle every three to four hours.

Gargle with Listerine. Another good gargling fluid is Listerine mouthwash. If you share the product with anyone else in your household, don't drink straight from the bottle; instead, pour a small amount into a cup (and don't share that, either).

JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 1:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• for sore throat and cough: mix equal part of honey (anti-bacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory)

Answer by rkoloms at 4:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Salt water and or listerine, plenty of water, popsicles and herbon pops.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I gargle with a mixture of baking soda and water when I feel a sore throat coming on. It works for me.
    KendraR

Answer by KendraR at 10:12 AM on Sep. 13, 2009