Tips for baby's sleeping at night

Ok, so my daughter is 16 weeks and the new development is she's waking us up every 1 1/2 hours throughout the night. She sleeps swaddled in a cradle next to our bed. Up until recently she would sleep from 10pm until 5 am. When she wakes up she's not hungary and many times not wet. When I pick her up she immediately quites down and starts drifting back to sleep. So I'm wondering if she's too little to "cry it out" and I'm also thinking if she's in her own crib in her own room I may not hear every noise and she might learn to soothe herself back to sleep! Any tips or tricks will be greatly appreciated!! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Trynot swaddling her....at four months, she is a bit too old for swaddling, maybe she is waking up because she is trying to turn over and can't, and you are now starting a pattern by picking her up, and she will start to expect it. My daughter did this around that time, and all she wanted was to know that i was there. Even if i didn't pick her up, she went to sleep when she saw me, and soon stopped even waking up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• she may be experiencing a growth spurt (common at 4 mo), or she may be in the process of learning some new cognitive skill that you don't even realize could be so exciting to her that it's interrupting her normal "schedule". babies can be funny like that, there are so many reasons for her waking that you may never know. in the meantime, at 4 mo. their cries are a main form of communication to them, and for whatever reason she could be crying out at night simply to be picked up and cuddled/soothed because it makes her happy. when she's this little it's the prime time for you to reinforce her sense of security and reliance that she has towards you as opposed to letting her cries go unanswered. i know it's a major pain in the butt because who really enjoys being woken up throughout a painfully sleepless night and left to be all but functional by the time the sun comes up. just remember these days pass, hang in there!
    corrie0227

Answer by corrie0227 at 2:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• oh no i wouldnt put her that far away from u,she may not want to be swaddled any more.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:29 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• 16 weeks is too early for cryng it out...that's from the advocates of the practice.

It's not suprising that she changed her pattern...it's more surprising that she kept one for so long! **smile**

Keep doing what you're doing. It WILL pass. And then something else will be waking you up at night! (It's a rule...you're not allowed a full night anymore. Murphy strikes again.)

Answer by gdiamante at 3:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• haha at above..its true...having the same pattern for more than a week is very rare in babyland..my son switches it up very often giving me tired tired days trying to figure him out. I agree with trying to unswaddle...my son has been rolling over since about that age and likes to sleep on his stomache sometimes. When he first started to learn this he was doing it nonstop and waking up every few hours bc he was stuck with his arm under his body...i kept turning him over until I finally researched mattress wrapping and feel he is safe on his belly now (had to addthat in there I am a big believer in mattress wrapping) .....also most agree crying it out is not the best for that age.....instead of picking her up try to kinda hover over her, pat her butt gently, rub her back, sing, hum...give her a pacifier (my son only uses one to get to sleep every few days when really fussy)....good luck!
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 10:55 PM on Sep. 12, 2009