would you judge someone on another person's opinion before you even meet the person?

for example if a new woman moves into your neighborhood and there's people who claim to already know her and tell you she's a slut or a bad mom or a homewrecker or just plain nasty would you believe them or would you form your own opinion about her once you've meet and spoken to her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• It's not my place to judge so I'd get to know her just to see if I wanted to be friends with her

Answer by admckenzie at 2:19 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I would wait. Someone saying it doesn't make it true, thats just their opinion. I think alot of the meanness comes from jealousy anyways. Maybe she has gorgeous hair or is a nice person so people (especially women) automatically get catty and bad mouth her. If you want to get to know someone then you should.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 2:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I am a good judge and if there's someone that is "trouble" then i will find out for myself. I am a leader not a follower.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• For me it depends on who the person is that already has the opinion. If its someone I trust, then, while I will give the person a opportunity to change that opinion, I'm still going to be cautious. If its just rumors I've heard, then I don't pay attention to them. Rumors are usually crap anyway.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I would be cautious too but I would not tattletale on the person who told me. I would extend hello welcome as a new neighbor and get to know the newcomer. If what I was told is a matter of physical safety and that also covers emotional safety I would merely nod hello and go on my way, if we're meant to be friends fate will bring us together in spite of troubles.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I would get to know her first. Just because she had a bad experience with one person, or one group of women doesnt mean anything. Those other women could just be *itches and lying about this woman. You cant decide to despise someone because somene else does. If she gives you a bad vibe, then I would steer clear. But meet her first at least before you form an opinion.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I WOULD HAVE TO GET TO KNOW HER AND MAKE UP MY OWN MIND ABOUT HER.

Answer by older at 4:54 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• If it was several people telling me, I'd take it in to consideration but I'd not be rude or unkind to anyone because I didn't agree with their lifestyle.
    If you hang around with someone with a bad reputation other people will assume you're in agreement with the way they carry themselves and possibly as bad or worse than they are.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 5:05 PM on Sep. 12, 2009