Hiring a Professional Cleaning Service

After being a SAHM for the past 8 years, I just started back to work as a Special Education teacher, and now, I don't have the time to keep my house clean--like I did when I was home full-time.

I am considering hiring a professional cleaning service to come in weekly/bi-weekly to "deep clean" the high-traffic common areas--like the bathrooms, kitchen, and family room/basement, but I'm leery about letting people in my home when I am not home.

I wanted to know from those of you who have or currently use a cleaning service:

1.) Are you required to be home when the service is cleaning up, or do they have a key or some other way of gaining access to your home when you are not (if that is an option)?

2.) Do you lock up your valuables?

3.) If something of value were missing, how would you prove it?

4.) What is the cost (average) for "spot cleaning" a home versus "top to bottom" cleaning? I'm in eastern PA

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 2:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Home & Garden

• My parents and sister both use a maid service. My parents are usually home and have someone come in, clean both bathrooms, mop all the hard floors (hallway, kitchen, entry, dining, laundry and bathrooms) and then either dust the dining room (china/display cabinet) or the office (floor to ceiling display cabinets). They have it done twice monthly and its $60 each time and usually takes 1-2 hours depending on how many people are on the team that day. My sister has them clean 3 bathrooms, and vacuum/mop all her floors on the downstairs level I think her bill was 150 a month and they came 2x a month usually. They have a key to get in and she locks the dogs outside the day they come. She used personal references then went to teh BBB to see if there were any complains before she hired a service. Neither of them lock up valuables, even when gone and haven't had a problem. the big names have background checks for added safety.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2009