Do you know any hillbillies in S.C.?????????????????

They evidently have some money!

http://voices. washingtonpost. com

By Paul Kane
With a political arms race in full force, Rep. Joe Wilson (R-S.C.) has raised almost $750,000 in less than 48 hours since his shout of "You lie!" to President Obama during the Wednesday address to Congress, almost matching the Internet-fueled haul of his likely Democratic opponent.
To put this fund-raising haul in perspective, Wilson, by early next week, could equal the total amount of money he raised in the entire two-year-election cycle of 2008, when he raised a little more than $1.1 million.

Miller, by contrast, raised just $390,000 in donations for the entire 2008 cycle and lent himself another $235,000 of his own money, according to records filed with the Federal Election Commission. So he's already doubled, in just two days, his total donations over a two-year period.

mustbeGRACE

Asked by mustbeGRACE at 2:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Hahah, rich hillbillys... Reminds me of that one old show.. ;)
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 3:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Nah, I'd say regular Americans not happy with Wilson disrespecting the president. Hillbillies are known more for pounding leather with mallets and hanging out at the Tandy store. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• LMAO! Geez...I 'bout spit out my pink lemonade. You should never underestimate the hillbillies and rednecks! lol...I am sure some stick up the butt lib is going to bring up racism or intelligence.....but you gotta admire them for putting money where their mouth is!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Nothing wrong with a good hillbilly. The term actually originated to refer to Michigan farmers.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• We bow to the Great Crapy--because she knows EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Carpy: You should change your name back to Eva Braun. It would be more honest.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• No Carpy--wrong again; you said "Nothing wrong with a good hillbilly. The term actually originated to refer to Michigan farmers. "

The origin of the term Hillbilly, an American nickname for mountain folk in the Ozarks and hill-country immigrants of Appalachia comes from the Scotch-Irish settlers who brought their traditional music with them. Many of the songs and ballads dealt with past history from their previous homeland regarding the Protestant King William III, Prince of Orange, who defeated the Roman Catholic King James II at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. Supporters of King William were known as Orangemen and Billy Boys (Billy being an abbreviation of William. The term Billy Boys is still used today, mainly in Northern Ireland). When considerable numbers of these Scotch-Irish based settlers arrived at America during the early 18th Century, they were termed as hillbillies by the occupying British soldiers.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 3:45 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• LOL. Within 24 hours Joe Wilson's opponent raised hundreds of thouands of dollars ....I am hoping they defeat the crass,gross.rude pig!!! I lived in sc... through no choice of my oewn...and they are living in the past. there are good old boys and Church Camps that only allow white Christian families. Racists. I am sure Wilson feels the same....the pig.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• wrong again??

early editions of Websters Dictionary include a definition of hillbilly as "a Michigan Farmer". look it up.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• look it up.

I did--read the post. It is a Scotts/Irish term--not a Michigan term. Perhaps it has been used there, but you claimed this was the origin and that is wrong.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 4:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2009