aagghh!!!teenage boy!!!!

okay im ready to flip out. my 14 yr. old going on 35. has become lazy.wants to sleep all the time. and when he is up he is bossy and has an attitude about anything and toward everybody! help!!!!

cat260

Asked by cat260 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• First, welcome to the teen years, enjoy the ride. Second, teenagers need lots of sleep due to the rapid growing they go through. Third, when he has an attitude, IGNORE him. Do NOT respond, do NOT acknowledge him. When he is being calm, just tell him that if he wants your attention or needs something from you or anyone else in the family, he shows respect and talks properly or he gets nothing. He is old enough to cook his own meals, wash his own clothes, etc. Listen to him and treat him with respect, he will give it back. Make sure he knows that you are there for him to talk to at anytime about anything. Communication is critical. He may come to you with shocking things, just don't freakout. Talk to him and freak out in private. He needs patience and understanding and lots of love.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:59 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Give him a swiff kick in the ass and remind him of who's boss in the house. You go MOM..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• welcome to teens.

I have one son and two daughters, two in twenties and one in teens. My youngest has permanently lost since 4th July just a bit afterwards, the computer for games, socialization. It is only for school work with me or older silbing sitting next to them. Also use of the cell phone while shopping, out to eat is gone - i take phone myself. I see other teens shopping with their moms but not the entire time on the phone. My teen because of attitude this summer has also lost her ipod.

Just take your son's stuff and it doesnt get returned. Period. Not even if he earns it. Your house your rules. My teen can live by my rules or get out. Door is open. Laptops computers, desktop computers are off for her. Be strong mom. You're allowed to have rules.

You can not physically make your son be polite, be respectful. But u can remove the countless things he's take from you at monetary and emotional cost.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 3:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Teenage boys can need a lot of sleep. My one son could sleep 12 hours or more a night. It was a good thing we homeschooled!

You may want to talk to your son't health car provider. Thyroid problems, depression, and bipolar disorder are a few of the things that can cause young teens to sleep a lot and also cause attitude problems. My son that sleeps so much has bipolar disorder, he was diagnosed at age 11.

You need to have a backbone with kids with attitude problems. One thing that works well is "First...Then". First you do the dishes, then you can play video games. Don't give in.

His attitude problems may be his fault but you can learn how to make the best of the situation. The book How to Talk So Kids Will Listen is a good place to start.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Punishment like taking things away from your kids or grounding them does not teach them good behavior or help them get along with others. Always keep in your head - Punishment does not teach good behavior.

People are always shocked when my polite, helpful sons tell them they were never hit, punished, had time-outs, or were grounded. There are four kinds of parenting. Of the four kinds authoratative parenting is known to work best and have the best outcomes for the children.

I learned about authoratative parenting as an undergraduate college student. Not only is it best for the kids but parents enjoy being with their kids. For more info go to google and type in authoratative parenting.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I'd say it's time for a swift kick in the butt. I have 4 sons who are 23, 21, 19 and 17 and they never went through that lazy phase. It'ss NOT a "boys will be boys thing" but since people are quick to label boys as lazy and rude they are often willing to follow that path. My sons all started working as Juniors in high school (Sat. and Sun. during football season, Fri-Sun. when fb was over and Mon.-Sun. whenever there was a holiday from school), did 2-3 sports a school year (football & track and one did basketball, too and another does football AND cross country at the same time) & I have had 2 who did drama which meant rehearsals after football, basketball and track practices AND they did chores. No couch potatoes here.

I have 4 very kind, rescpectful sons who are always compliments on their manners. They were grounded when they didn't listen to us and when they developed an attitude.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• This are the teen years. They get better so learn to ride the wave.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:50 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Kids need our love the most when they are acting "unloveable".  Teens change due to harmones, peer pressure, becoming independent grown-ups.  Remain calm  & do your best to listen (more than talk) if you want them to communicate.  Set consequences, make your son aware of the consequeces & stick to implementing them.  Remind him when he messes up that it was his choice.  Not a bad kid, just a bad decision.  Let him suffer the natural consequence.  Books on understanding teens http://astore.amazon.com/wwwcjkidzcom3-20?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=12

momjs

Answer by momjs at 2:37 PM on Sep. 13, 2009