housework.

okay ive asked this ? before but im asking again. im a single parent of 3 boys ages 8 to 14. and to get them to their share of housework is like pulling teeth.i tried the switching the boss day, grounding,taking things away etc. i get so frustrated that i do it. i know that this is not teaching my boys work ethics or teamwork. any more advice.

cat260

Asked by cat260 at 3:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• Be consistent!

Sometimes, rewards work better than punishments. Start with zero; they need to do their chores to earn priveledges like TV time.

Stay calm, don't yell, ignore the whining.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Reward them everytime they do something right instead of punishing them when they don't do something. You'd notice a big difference I guarantee.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 4:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• What about a reward system? When I started a reward system my boys jumped at the chance to do chores and even started to ask if there was anything they could do! They wanted to earn extra rewards. Praise worked well too-- they liked hearing what a good job they did, how nice it was to have help.... that motivated them to help out a bit more too-- than me nagging at them to do this, do that..
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 5:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My solution, don't feed em till they clean. Works most of the time.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 2:02 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• Around here, (and granted mine are younger than yours) there's no TV, no video games, no computers, no board or card games, no outside time and no phone until chores are done. I don't give in and I don't back down. Chores are spread out through the week, so they don't get slammed on one day. I used to have a chart for each kiddo, but the puppy ate them and I haven't made a new ones yet, LOL.
    It took a few weeks to get them into the routine, but once they realized I wasn't joking, they started doing pretty good. I still get whining and resistance, but not as much. If they really defy me, I send them to their rooms (still a huge punishment for these guys, since they don't have TV's/game systems or anything like that in their rooms) until they come out to do their jobs.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 1:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• All these ladies are right on here. Sometimes punishment doesn't always work. You could try a reward system to see how that goes. If they do there work, they could get maybe something they wanted out of the store or more playtime. Then they might do what they're supposed to! I mean, your kids are old enough to know that they have chores to do. Kids don't live in our house for free....lol
    QueenBee319

Answer by QueenBee319 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• tell them it would be nice to get some help around here. make sure you tell them at the end of every week you will give them money....ohh your 14 y/ld should be helping anyways.. in my moms house at the time, hit us and we had no choice to clean... so we now in this day in age has it awsome..... just do what you feel works... g0od luck..... {;-0
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 13, 2009