Is joint legal custody a PITA?

Is it as difficult as it sounds? Of course, this would depend on the situation. So how does it work out in your case?

Especially if you have sole physical custody.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• My ex and I share custody of our 4 children. The kids are with me one week and their dad a week we rotate like that all year. We lived 4 blocks from each other so they are still near all their friends no matter who's home they are in. They have their own rooms at both houses. When we decided to split we made the custody about the kids and sat the older two down and asked them what they wanted. They wanted to be able to see us both as much as possible. I suggested the one week with me and one with dad and they loved it. I think they worried I would not allow that and only want him to have weekends like their friends dads. My ex found a house close so it really worked for school and friends. We both are flexible and always put the kids first. I have two more children with my current spouse they miss their siblings but my ex and his wife allow them over to speend the night their kids come here. We love our kids.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:41 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My DH and his ex have 50/50 joint custody. We do one week on and one week off. It works well for us. We live about 15 mins away from eachother and switch every friday after he gets out of school.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 3:45 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• What the anon :41 has is "joint physical custody"
    Joint legal custody is when both parents share in the legal/financial/educational/religion decisions of the children.
    I have sole physical custody with joint legal custody. Therefore their father has a set visitation schedule, and their primary residence is with me. This in the state of MO, so I don't know if this applies to your state. I'm fine with it as it is.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:47 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Thanks for the responses. They are useful to me still, but what I am referring to in the original post is joint legal custody, which is separate from physical custody, as MrsLeft pointed out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2009