I was thinking...What do you think of this?

Ok so a lot of bashing has gone on about moms on PA which sucks. We get foodstamps and my kids are on medicaid. I have gotten the feeling the government makes it hard for those on PA to get off PA because of their "guide lines". You can't save up money to buy a house or car because if you have more than $2,000 in a savings account then you lose your benefits. So how can one better themselves and try to get out of the projects if the gov. keeps them from it. So my question is this: Why don't they offer financial education for those on PA? In other words give those on PA information on how to get themselves out of the financial rut. I'm going on the "Give a man a fish he eats for one night, but teach a man to fish he eats for a lifetime." philosophy. I know how to manage our house hold finances, but knowing more about it could help get us on the right track. So whats your view?

luvmygrlz

Asked by luvmygrlz at 3:38 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• luv- you have taken the first step toward getting off- realizing that in many ways the system is playing you. I truly wish I had a clear cut answer for you! I think knowing that this is not the life you want to lead forever and that this should be temporary is a good first step. There are free classes in money mgmt through many community colleges, google and see if you can find one. Also, the internet can be a great resource- have a look and see what you can find. If I can be a little bold and suggest you put off plans for more kids until you are more stable, that would be a huge step. Also, look at what you have and see if there is something you can do without. We are considered middle class and I have recently cut back on cable (lower package) cell (smaller package) and internet(again, smaller package). I really work hard at saving what little we have and cut back EVERY place I can. Hope it helps!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 6:11 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I guess like those of us who have never been on public assistance, you just hunker down, cut down on luxury items, and don;t accept government assistance. when you have the mindset, that government dependency is simply not an option, you become resourceful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I personally hate having the gov pay for my food but our monthly income was drastically abliterated when Dh lost his job. I bring in around $800 a month and our rent is half that so it sucks because we have a lease and we can't break it. It's up in October. And I'll be damed if I move into the projects.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 3:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• "Why don't they offer financial education for those on PA?"

That would be a wonderful thing and I would gladly have my tax dollars go to something like this!
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 3:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My view is the same as yours. Programs should be geared more for helping people rise above the need for PA. The system is very flawed. Another thing that irks me is this. I have two cousins who got messed up on meth and now they get disability. They got on it lickity split with no court apperance, NOTHING, BOTH got it within one month. Then I know people who truly are disabled. My brother is one and a few other people I know. My brother has degeneratiive disc idisease. He worked all his life until his back got to bad. He has been fighting for it for three years and just finally got awarded just this last tuesday. Another one I know has a crippling form of arthritis. She too is on three yrs of battling and is now in a wheelchair. She is still waiting. That is just totally unjust to me.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• PA should only be a short term solution. Having been on Pa years in the past I do understand the need. I used it to get out of the situation I was in but I did not make it a living. I choose to not live that way and I was able to gain a skill to get a good paying job. Now I can leave a legacy to my Girls. No one owes me a living.
    CKasting

Answer by CKasting at 3:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Things I would love to see done with PA:
    finance class - also known as basic consumer ed and home ec
    COOKING class - people waste more money because nobody ever taught them how to cook from scratch so they think it's too hard or takes too much time
    savings plan - money they are not allowed to touch under any circumstances until benefits end, but also doesn't count against them. Must be earned, not taken from EBT cash
    parenting class - if any of the benefits are for kids

And how to pay for them? If you're on PA, you are volunteering for one of those programs a certain number of hours each week, or for the program that provides child care for those doing their volunteer hours elsewhere. When you finish your 2 years of PA, at which point you are cut off, you will continue to volunteer an additional year or else pay a fine equal to the amount to hire someone to replace you for the year
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• wow well thought out NP.. I can think of a few other things to build off of that solid foundation you just laid out. Great great ideas
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:48 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Of course it is and Obama is making it even easier to stay a deadbeat.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Yes, yes, yes! Welfare is so broken. You can't get anywhere on it, I love no's ideas I love your ideas. I hate the way the pa system is set up.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 5:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2009