What do you think about Caster Semenya? Do you think she is male, female or both?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• she's a man, baby! lololol even her last name has the word "semen" in it!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• chromosome karyotype of 46 XXXY
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• They eported that she is BOTH. A hermaphrodite. She has testicles inside of her body.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I think that since she has outwardly female genitalia, she should be called a female. After all that's what a doctor decided she was when she was born. Since her internal organs are male, she has heavier muscle mass, deeper voice, and some other male characteristics, so she shouldn't be allowed to participate as a female in Olympic sports, and she probably doesn't have the speed to compete as a male, so it's sad but she cannot compete as an athlete due to a birth defect. Lots of us can't--we just can't run fast enough! I do think the media treated her shamefully by announcing the DNA test results to the public before telling her in private. If the poor girl had been born in a first-world nation, rather than in Africa this would have probably never happened, The problem would have been noticed sooner and corrected with synthetic hormones and/or surgery.
    Jokes about her name is inappropriate under the present, sad circumstances
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 3:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• OP here - I feel really bad for her. She knew she was both but I'm sure she just wanted to live a normal life without having this stuff ruin her life. She didn't even know they were testing her and that's wrong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Semenya told You Magazine, “God made me the way I am and I accept myself. I am who I am and I’m proud of myself.” She is in fact a Hermaphrodite chromosome karyotype of 46 XXXY

Caster Semenya's Makeover

Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:01 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• She makes a very pretty woman. Go Caster!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Hermaphrodite is a sex, male and female are genders. Each person effectively chooses a gender. If she's happy as a female, she's female.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• This one is tough for me.

Speaking in terms of society, she would be female if they say that she has female genitalia.

In terms of competitive sports I don't know what to say. Part of me wants to go with the original rules of her being considered the gender that she was born, but that sort of gives her an unfair advantage over the other runners, and it would be likely that her record wouldn't be broken, possibly ever. But at the same time, you couldn't make her compete against the men either. I don't know what to think.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• QuinnMae
    but that sort of gives her an unfair advantage over the other runners.

Not if she starts taking estrogen to counter the testosterone. I think she should start the estrogen and keep her medals.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:45 PM on Sep. 12, 2009