Can they take the baby away if I end up going to a psychiatric hospital?

All I've ever wanted in life is to be a mom, and a good mom at that. I have worked hard, gone to school, found an amazing man to marry, etc. I have also had a hard past. I was admitted three times to a psychiatric hospital 3-4yrs ago. Well, this past year hasn't been the easiest. I have also come across struggles while pregnant that I never thought would happen. I'm starting to have problems with my husband, we've both lost our jobs and are now living with family to get by, and I feel as though I'm on the brink of an emotional breakdown. I am afraid of asking for help seeing as in the past that usually meant going away for a couple weeks to the hospital, but I'm afraid that they will take my baby if that happens. My husband didn't qualify for aid (not even unemployment) so I doubt they'd give him custody if I went away. I'm just worried. Everything seems to be worrying me these days. Maybe I'm not as stable as I thought I was.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They won't take your child if you voluntarily admit yourself to psychiatric care. Now if the police have to come to your house to pick you up and take you to the hospital against your will, that's another story altogether.

If you got into a car accident and had to stay in the hospital for a few weeks, would they take your children from you? Of course not. You are mentally sick. It's no different than a physical ailment.

I have depression and bi-polar, and I have been in and out of the psych hospital at least 8 times in the past 8 years, but I haven't had to be admitted to one since 2004 (knock on wood). I recently had a child, and I see my therapist and psychiatrist once a month, so my illness is being closely monitored. I am also taking antidepressants.

I would talk to a psychiatrist first. Is there a crisis hotline in your city/town that you can call?

Good luck! You are a courageous woman!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I had a nervous breakdown 3 years ago this October. We were in a simular situation as you are now. Dh lost his job and no unemployment. I was the bread winner (like I am now) but I was on some meds that really screwed me up. I was tring to kill myself and was admitted into the phsyc ward of the hospital for almost a week. I also had a bad past with abuse and was seeking counciling to deal with it along with that and the meds, dh losing his job and my work being stressful I broke. I'm in the same exact situaltion now exept the meds and I'm taking it one day at a time. What dont kill us only make us stronger. I have found talking it out is best. If you need some one to talk to just PM me.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 4:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• But to answer your question. My children remained in my dh's care during my "vacation".
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 4:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• i doubt they would take your child for you getting help i dont see why they would your trying to get help for something that you cant handle
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Why don't you just go see a psyciatrist. They don't ASK if you are seeing one. If you wouldn't let things get so bad you wouldn't need to be hospitalized. Are you on meds? IF it is this bad you should be.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I agree that if you get back under your doctor's care, he can straighten out your meds. If DH is trouble, make him move until you are better, or tell him to quit stressing you. Is there someone ELSE that could take the baby if, God forbid, they were going to take him?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:02 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Unless you are in danger of harming your child(or while it's in you) they usually won't take away your children. I know what it is like to feel despair, so don't feel bad if you can not handle it on your own, sometimes talking to someone is all you need! If you want to talk, just let me know! I have been there! Sometimes I still go there! Remember, your hormones are sucky right now, and your situation does nothing to help! Do what you need to do for you and your little one! Remember, nothing can get worse than it is right now! Talk lady, talk! get it off your chest!
    littlestchef

Answer by littlestchef at 8:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2009