is leaving a 9 month old in a play pen ALL day neglect?

I think it is. i left my son in one all day bc i had to clean for someone whos coming home from the hospital who has no imune system. but my bf thinks i shouldnt take him out AT all.. isnt that messed up? i take him out anyway the baby needs stimulation and need to learn to walk and layin there playin and sleeping all day isnt goin to help!! ITS NOT HEALTHY

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• If you are letting him in while you clean that's a hell of a lot safer. I mean unless you would prefer your child getting into the cleaners you are using. Let's use some common sense ladies. She wasn't just sticking her son in the playpen to sit on her ass...she was cleaning for an ill person.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 8:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I am not a fan of those things at all.
    So, yes - I think that would be very neglectful.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 3:53 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Hmm...I wouldn't say neglect. Maybe poor parenting choice?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:01 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Yes, it is neglect. I haven't used ours since dd was 5 months old . . . she wouldn't have it anyway.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Yes it is neglectful. Babies need that one on one bonding and besides you wouldn't want your child to grow up and think the play pin is its mom......lol. That was a joke. I'm sure you are a great mom tell you bf to buck off. You gave birth to the child right so you know whats best. Take care.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 4:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• YES IT IS!

Answer by older at 4:50 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Yes, it is neglect. It's no different than if you locked him in his bedroom all day and didn't interact with him.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 4:56 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• A one time deal? no... If it's a parenting style... Yes.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:57 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I'd get a different boyfriend. It sounds like your child doesn't make the top 2 on his list. Just you and him, no room for baby. Ridiculous! Yes, you answered your own question, it is neglectful. Babies need stimuation and interaction with parents.

As a foster parent, we can't leave a child in a playpen for more than 30 minutes. If they are napping, they can't stay more than 3 hours, and if they awake before nap-time is over, you can't leave them longer than 30 minutes if they are quiet, but if they are crying, they are to be taken out immediately after they wake up.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• All day!!! That awful.
    tweeta

Answer by tweeta at 5:21 PM on Sep. 12, 2009