When did you start letting your children walk to school?

I have 2 girls and they would be together, its 0.15miles.

ShellyXO1124

Asked by ShellyXO1124 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• how old are they..... and my kids will NEVER walk to school i dont trust ppl.. u should look up sex offenders where u live b4 u decide that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Well mine won't ever unless the school is like across the street or something. I however did walk to school but I was in high school and it was about a mile away. I would say a good age would be at least 14 or 15 but I agree with pp make sure there are no sex offenders in their route. I think giving kids some independence is good just be safe about it. Hope this helps.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 4:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• We home school, but, in this day & age there's no way I'd let my kids walk to school no matter their age, or how many others were with them. Better safe than sorry. I've heard of 14 & 15 yr olds being approached & kidnapped.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Never, the world is full of pedophiles, and their in every state in every neighborhood. I rather take them to school, or stand on the bustop with them until the bus comes. I don't want to sound over protective, but you have to be careful when it comes to your kids.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 6:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Never.My son is seven and he has asked me more then once if he can ride his bike to school alone.I always tell him that he can do that when he goes to college.LOL!!He asks me because we used to have a neighbor thatlet her eight year old walk home alone and stay home alone all the time.Which is not okay for my children.If you decide to let your children walk alone check out and see if there are any pedophiles around their route.Maybe walk it once or twice with them to look at everything that is going on in their route.There are free sites that you can go on like http://www.watchdogs.com

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 6:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I walked to and from school from Kindergarten on. My son was in 6th grade and that was because where his elementary school was there were no sidewalks and it was on a county road. I know there are bad people all over the world but we cannot freak our kids out and keep them in a bubble. We have to teach our kids about safety and not talking to strangers. I work and go to school and am a single mom, I can't be with my child 24/7. He has had to grow up fast and is intelligent, responsible and respectful. He carries a cell phone that has GPS on it and knows what to do when approached. He has been walking to school for 3 years and has had NO problems. I did it for 13 years and had no problem. It doesn't happen as much as people think it does.

Depending on your area and how close the school is, I would say about 8 or 9 years old would be ok.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:45 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• we live right across the street from luna i walk them across the street then go back.
    francescaz

Answer by francescaz at 10:08 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My kids have walked to school a few times this year. The third day of school my 4th grader was screwing around so we left without her. I got to the corner and told my 1st and 2nd graders to keep walking and went back to see what was taking her so long. By the time she came out the other kids were at the end of the next block (could still see them) and crossing the street. By the time we go to that corner they were already in school (the school is 1 1/2 blocks up and 1 1/2 blocks over to the front doors). I then stood on the corner and watched my 4th grader walk the rest of the way to school.
    They've walked half way a couple of other times and walked home quite a few times at the end of last year (in 3rd, 1st and kindergarten).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:45 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I would never let my kids walk to school. I watch the news...I know what could happen to them...Im so close to my sons school that they dont bus him but I wont let him walk. I could teach him every safety tactic in the world but theres nothing safer than him being in my car under my supervision!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• The most dangerous place for a kid is in a car. Kids are like 100 times more likely to be injured or killed in a car accident on the way to school then to be kidnapped off the street by a stranger. And it's because of all the crazy paranoid moms that HAVE to drive their kids 2 blocks to school that make it dangerous for my kids to walk because they all drive like freaking morons in school zones. My kids have almost been hit 3 times (while I was with them) because of dumbass parents that can't drive.
    Times are NOT more dangerous when we were kids. In fact they are safer now then they were in the 70s and 80s it's just things are plastered all over the media now and you hear about for months and months after the fact...every gory detail. I feel very sad for children today. They've lost out on the great joys of childhood...just being free without mommy looking over their shoulder.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:39 PM on Sep. 13, 2009