how do i get my 1 year old to stop hitting me

me and my husband have just seperated im only 19 years old and now a single mom everytime my daughter is doing something she is not sapost to do i pick her up and tell her no not yelling at her or anything just a stern "no" and then she hits me ussually in my face or anywere she can i relize that she is only one but it makes me feel like she hates me for leaving her dad and im not for sure how to break her of it

megjanae

Asked by megjanae at 4:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She's too young to hate you, so don't worry about that. She certainly is picking up on the new situation regarding the separation, and that does have affects on young ones too. You are the parent, and you must always act as that. The one thing I have to say is "Say what you mean, do what you say." If you don't stick to what you say, the child will always push you, figuring they may get their way by doing such (not that all children don't push we parents to the limit anyway, but there is a huge difference in how children will act when they know that you MEAN what you say, end of story). I'm old school (43 yrs. old and have no problem with it), and the first thing that I would do is what you do also, tell her STEARNLY 'no', and then I would put her in the playpen for a minute or two. She is still pretty young for time outs, but you need to find a different approach, so a teeny time out in the playpen or her crib may help.
    edcmyangels

Answer by edcmyangels at 4:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• First, since you know she's going to try hitting you, pick her up facing away or don't pick her up at all. Bend down to her level, hold her hands (to prevent her from hitting you), then tell her no.

here's something else to try. When you tell her not to do something, immediately redirect her attention to something else. For example, "No, you can't touch the stove, it's hot. Let's go play with your dolls and feed them dinner" or whatever else works. She's young enough to probably be distracted easily. If you aren't picking her up, she can't hit.

When my son hit me, I'd immediately tell him not to and ignore him for a bit. It sometimes required leaving the room (making sure he was safe where he was) to get out of swinging distance. Since hitting is an attention getting mechanism, if it doesn't work, they'll stop.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• spank her bottom(not hard) or tap her hand it will hurt her feelings,then sit her down or put her in a play pen and tel her again,no hit
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:52 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Pretend to cry and say mommy is sad you hit me! If that doesn't work than time out is a must and while you have her in time out tell her why she is their. she will learn. also tap her hands everytime she does that to you.. All the baby is doing is testing you. show her that your not playing..
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 8:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2009