How long should I wait to have my next child?

My husband is in the military but he is reserve. He is unemployed but is trying to get into a police academy but he can go active anytime he wants. Im in the process of getting a job but im doing home school too. I already have a 3 month little girl but I dont want my kids to be no more than 2 years apart. Im also still living with my father until march of 2010.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• the medical optimum is 18 months in between pregnancies. that puts the kids 27 months apart. I wanted my kids no more than 3 years apart, but life has other answeres. My DS just tured 3 and there is not another one on the way at this time.
    lt1jane

Answer by lt1jane at 4:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I always think its a good choice to wait to have children (or more) until you're on your own or paying rent and at least one person is employed and making enough to pay the bills. I know these times are tough and you can't always help your situation, but you can hold off on having kids until your life settles down. Its great that you know what you want in so far as family planning. There's never a "perfect" time to have a kid...but there's also times where its not a great choice. You have quite a while to go before your kids would be two years apart. I'd work on increasing stability in my life for now and put babies on the backburner. More important than having them close together is having them in a stable environment. Its totally achievable for you all to do that, so that is what I would suggest.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• You should wait until you're able to support yourselves and your children. If an accident happens, or a job is lost when it's too late to prevent a pregnancy, or something along those lines, it's one thing. But having another baby while you're already so dependent on somebody else, not to mention making it that much harder to become self-reliant, is not a smart thing to do; it's taking advantage of the people already being so nice in helping you out. You've got another year to get pregnant and still have your kids 2 years or less apart; there's no need to rush it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:48 PM on Sep. 12, 2009