So I'm crabby.. is it wrong?

Okay I'm gonna rant here! FIL could stay sober long enough to go to his grandsons bday. He falls over @ family get togethers,argues and is drunk 24! So last night we get called saying we are required to show up for his retirement party today. I say hell no. Why should he get a party when he can't show up for my son's b day. I haven't been bringing my kids around as much because he's always drunk! So now the family thinks I'm the bitch, like his party was sacred or something. Am I out of line? IDK

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Sorry typo, can't stay sober long enough to show up for grandsons bday.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:53 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't want my kids around that either. Kids don't understand why FIL is acting the way he is and it can be quite scary to them. I agree with you for not going. I know some people would say you have a duty to support and attend that party but your FIL has a duty to not be plastered and expose that lifestyle to your children as well. Good luck
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 4:54 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• He only has one retirement, and it must be important to him or his other relatives to have the family there. A polite invitation would have been better than a demand, which would be bound to put your hackles up, naturally, and it is understandable that you are hurt and disappointed in him. It would be the generous thing to do to go. If there is drunken out of control behavior, then yeah bring the children home, but his retirement party, that he and the family will always remember, go.

Answer by Bmat at 5:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't go if this were happening to me. My father in law is a drunk also and I have to agree, it can be very frightening to a child. If he can't stay sober long enough to make an appearance at your sons birthday party then hell no I wouldn't go to his freaking retirement party.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 5:15 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• If he is always drunk I wouldn't even want him to show up for my son's birthday party to begin with. But I do agree with not going to his party either. I wouldn't want my kids around someone who is constantly drunk.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 5:39 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I don't care who they are. I wouldn't want someone who was drunk around my kids. period. but that's just my personal feelings.
    sunfreezeinmi

Answer by sunfreezeinmi at 10:16 PM on Sep. 12, 2009