is it true that if you keep your home very clean and tidy that if the flu hits it wont be as bad ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Health

• I don't see why it would be true, unless a dirty home weakens your health, which it might.

Answer by Bmat at 5:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• LOL, this question sounds like someone's mother in law told her that.

My "professional" opinion: flu virus can live on surfaces for 2-8 hours. If you are cleaning every two hours, it might help. Other wise, normal liveable conditions should not affect it one way or another.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 5:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My mother law swore a clean house kept the sickness down in her house. SO, I try to make sure to spray with Lysol alot. I'm not sure how true it is but common sense says that it is. If you get sick and then do nothing but spread it all over your house and/or to the rest of your family it seems to me like it will just keep getting passed around.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 5:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• No.If you over clean then you clean away the good germs and bacteria. Your body needs to learn how to fight off disease and bacteria and if things are too clean then your body loses that ability. The flu can affect anyone; clean house, filthy house, hospitals, etc. Hand washing, covering coughs and sneezes are what helps prevent the flu and other disease. But, if you are going to get sick, NOTHING will prevent it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• A clean house is just nice, but to keep the virus at a minimum in my house, I just use the lysol wipes on commonly touched surfaces. i.e. door knobs, light switches, the remote, the phone, etc
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Ha ha how can you keep it tidy everytime I clean my house my son goes back and throws everything on the floor and I have to do it all over again. But wont hurt to keep things tidy and clean but I agree with tyfry7496 over cleaning would kill all the good germs.
    mommyofone0724

Answer by mommyofone0724 at 11:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2009