Why do some grandparents act so non caring? I just cant wrap my mind around it....

My dh's family is so strange. They never seem interested in our kids or what they are doing.

It even started during my baby shower, before my baby was even born....they came and stayed about 10 minutes, wouldnt eat any finger foods...and LEFT!!!

Now my kids are 6 and 4 and they never want to come to any functions they are involved in.

Thursday and Friday were her grandparent lunches and programs that SHE Was invited too.....and she even SAID SHE WAS COMING and didnt show up....

I havent talked to her yet, but I know it will be some LAME excuse, it always is.

How can a grandmother be like that?

At least my kids have my mom and dad. THEY ARE SUPER grandparents and attended ALL grandparents day functions! So at least they were not alone.

Anyone else have dead beat grandparents?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Relationships

• My parents aren't the greatest. They have 12 grandkids and four children of their own. While they love us, I honestly think they are just over it. I think they raised their kids and are done and enjoying retirement. I'd just not include that side of the family anymore.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:26 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• No idea but my grandmother treats my oldest son liek his shit dont stink And the other kids get shit on by her big time. At my middle childs bday party all she did was throw a crumpled up 5 dollar bill at him and left. While my oldest boy got some stupid 80.00 tractor. Its not fair and the kids know it now that they are older. The way i figure it , is its there loss not the kids.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 5:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• That is strange. If my grandchildren lived closer I'd go to all of their programs and sports. It is too far to drive other than a couple times a year though. I can't explain why they'd only stay a few minutes other than there is bad feelings or they are ill or something like that.

Answer by Bmat at 5:44 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• What does your DH say about his parentses atitude twards his kids.

Answer by louise2 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• That's very judgmental. Perhaps they have a life and know your children are well taken care of and are fine without them. Just bc we don't see our grandkids it doesn't mean we don't love them.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Sounds like they are busy people. They raised their kids probably want to have some time to enjoy life just the two of them. My grandparents never came to stuff and we saw then once a month. They loved us but after raising 8 kids enjoyed traveling and doing things they wanted. Nothing wrong with that at all. You can whine about it or move on and accept they are who they are and you cannot change them. I would not run them down to your husband either they are his parents and that would be very rude.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My dad is the same way unfortunately (And it sucks because he is the only grandparent my son has:( ) .. he was never involved in mine or my brother's life when we were younger either so doesn't really surprise me. My son adores him but he wants nothing to do with him or gets mad and yells at him for no reason so it really pisses me off.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 7:41 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• OP HERE

HAHAHAHAHAH!!! Thats thet funny part! They have no other family.....SHE DOESNT WORK!!! ANd they live 3 blocks away from us....HAHAHAHAH

And if you are able to see your grandkids but choose not to....THEN I DO QUESTION your love for the grandchildren.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• OP HERE AGAIN!

And YES, I am judgmental because if you tell my child that you are going to come and they get all excited and are expecting you.....then you should come and be a reliable trustworthy grandparent.

It takes more than just your child having a baby to be a grandparent. it takes love concern, care, attention  etc.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• DONT LISTEN TO ADMECKENZIE- SHE POSTED ON ANOTHER GRANDMA QUEST ALMOST THE SAME RESPONSE- SOUNDS LIKE SHES A DEAD BEAT GRANDMA THE WAY SHE ANSWERS THESE QUSTIONS- A WAY TO MAKE HERSELF FEEL BETTER ABOUT NOT SEEING HER OWN GRANDKIDS
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2009