Milk coming in...how to make them feel better?

I just had our second baby boy on Wednesday (yeah, 9/9/09 how cool huh!) My milk is coming in and my boobs are going Pamela Anderson style. They are HUGE and hard as rocks and hurt so so bad! It's worse than it was with my first. I know it doesn't last forever, but it's almost making me sick to my stomach how much they hurt. I've been pumping a little in addition to what my son is eating, but i dont want to OVER stimulate and keep them bigger longer than they need to.

What can i do to relieve some of the pain? I'm thinking warm compresses or something? Anyone have any suggestions?

MommaTurbo

Asked by MommaTurbo at 5:45 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First off, congrats! Mine went Pamela Anderson style too! What I did was while I was feeding my son on one side, I'd pump the other boob. The milk came out easier when I did it while he was feeding on the other side. It's good that your making alot of milk babe! Your baby will need more as he grows so I wouldn't worry about them getting bigger. To relieve soreness I didn't have to do anything after about 4 or 5 days of pumping on one side while feeding him on the other. Warm compresses might make you leak so beware, lol.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Warm compresses and patience.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:00 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• They ( I know too) absolutely do definately hurt, like in someone just filled a balloon really really large and it won't pop, but as you say the more you pump the more is made,, hmmm , I wonder
    what a mom is to take or do, or treat it with, I can't remember what I did but push, pump out, or let the baby drink all the time, I know that I drank tons of fluids after delivering her, and I fed her every 25 mins and then each 2 hrs at night on 4 hr intervals . Than start again the next day, full time job ! I didn't have too much pain due too all the meds from the c-section, but with my natural birth I didn't have too much on options, I suggest for your sanity to take some darvocet or something with codeine in it. You'll rest at least and not get sad, or overwhelmed with pain, just remember though , you'll still need to drink a ton to produce and as soon as that is out, you'll need a new pill again. So take "prn".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• BTW, "as necessary", = (prn)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:09 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I would say pump, or just hand express a little, just enough to make the pain ease up some. That way you aren't expressing too much and soon the amount will go down. Mine were crazy hard too....Lol but I was happy to bear the pain because I finally had some boobs :)
    macylee36

Answer by macylee36 at 7:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Yeah Liz, if the boobs could stay and the pain go away, i'd be in heaven! Lol!

I suppose i'll just deal with it for a few more days. I was just hoping someone had a miracle "make it feel better in the meantime" cure! :p
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 7:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• yaaaay crys boobies! LOL!!! one word tho...CABBAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously tho, stick cool cabbage leaves in your bra. hot water or compresses will express the milk which will make it feel better for the meantime, but will make the milk come back in full force
    Aurorasmom

Answer by Aurorasmom at 11:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I wouldnt express any milk because they will just keep filling up and get worse...i wreapped mine very tight with an ace bandage for a few days and it kept swelling down and kept new milk from coming in so it wasnt as painful
    MadisynsMom0114

Answer by MadisynsMom0114 at 11:28 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• well the more that you pump the more you will make. your body is just trying to figure out how much milk it needs to make for your new little one! Just wait it out and before you know it it won't be so bad. Mine only hurt for about 4 days and when I weaned him it wasn't as bad. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I 2nd the cabbage. put it in the fridge and there you go cool compress.It feels great!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Sep. 13, 2009