A moral question? Fighting with my pride.

The library here has misplaced books and blamed us several times. When the realize it was their mistake they say, "HA HA, our bad." Today, books went missing again. They automatically pointed their finger at us and we pointed ours at them. Seriously, I almost lost my cool with these very rude people. When I got home I did find two of the three books. The third book is MIA and I am not sure if it's here or at the library. I will return the books. The question is...they've never apologized to me. Should I apologize to them? What is the morale way to handle this?

Darlinree

Asked by Darlinree at 6:01 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• What I would do? I would apologise and I am an admittedly prideful person. I try not to take into account what someone has done to me when deciding the right thing to do. I need to take care of MY actions and make what I did right. It's up to them to make up for what they did IF they're big enough to do it.

I probably would go to them and say "I actually did have these books and I'm sorry for the mixup, it was an honest mistake. But I know you'll be forgiving seeing as you accused me the first time and were wrong. Goes to show you that we all mess up sometimes right?" *light heartedly but firm*

I'm not a doormat but I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong. I've found that leading by example encourages people to do the same. You maintain your pride by being the person with integrity who does the right thing.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 6:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Don't apologize just bring the books back. And say when and if I find the other one I will return it.

Answer by louise2 at 6:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• You don't owe them an apology after their previous attitude. They shouldnt be so flippant if they want their patrons to take care of their books.
    jackdaw

Answer by jackdaw at 6:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• We have an after hours drop box at our library, I would toss them in there and not offer an apology.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• just return the books--they probably don't even want or care for an apology.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• the third book, I would go the area of the library were it should be and see if it is there. The moral thing would be to return the books and pay any fines due to the books being returned late. After that, there is no moral obligation to apologize. In fact, I would drop them off in the night box and leave it at that. No need to say anything. They want the books returned and you will return them. I don't see any pride in doing just that. If you feel the need to say something say, "HA HA our bad..."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I don't see a reason to apologize. I mean you didn't know you had the books. They never apologized to you when they had books they accused you of not returning. Do to others as they have done to you..If I don't get respect, I don't give respect.
    prcd_n_tatd

Answer by prcd_n_tatd at 11:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Do to others as they have done to you..

You are more then welcome to practice this but just so everyone is clear this is not the version of the Christian rule.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I WOULD JUST RETURN THE BOOKS WITHOUT AN APOLOGY.

Answer by older at 3:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2009