postpartum depression

my dd is 5weeks now and I'm starting to wonder if I have ppd. dh was helping calm her down last night and I caught myself feeling really sad that I wasn't needed. I know dh was only trying to help me rest (i was so tired) but I just felt like he was saying I'm a bad mom. I know he wasnt... he always tells me the opposite actually, but I felt like I got slapped in the face. also I have been either eating more or not at all and I'm always tired and snappy with my 3 year old. dh has actually had to tell me to take it easy (not cause I was hurting him or anything just laying into him way too much over stupid stuff) could I just now be developing ppd? I felt great when we first came home but not now... I'm going to talk to my midwives about this, but wanted your opinions as well... thanks ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My opinion is yes, you could be having some ppd. I'm glad you are going to call your midwife. It is absolutely the right thing to do to talk to your provider about it.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• You can talk with your midwifes on this, but i feel the same way still about people trying to help with my boys. I feel like if i don't do it all myself that i am inadequate. My oldest is 4 middle son is 3 and i have a 16mo. old too. It is good that your recognize that you feel this way. By the way, congratulations on your baby. Your hormones are still going nuts for up to 6 or 7 weeks after giving birth. Talk to your midwifes about "baby blues" also. This is a temporary condition that can happen with hormonal changes. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Sep. 12, 2009