How many of you that are suppose to receive child support actually receive it? And if you don't receive it, how much is owed to you?

I am just curious. Do you have to fight for it in court and Child support enforcement agencies or does your children's father actually pay it like a responsible adult should?
Me, I am having to fight for it and he owes $3,500 so far.
I am little upset about the way I get treated by the Child Support Enforcement Agency. They treat me as if it is my fault my ex-husband has not paid. Now, when I do call, I do treat the workers with respect.

MyGirlParadise

Asked by MyGirlParadise at 6:37 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• I applied when my daughter was 8 months old because FL Medicaid made me. It started off pretty quick, we took the mandated DNA test right away so I thought I'd be getting $$ right away. Well, it wasn't until November of last year (my daughter was 25 months old by then) that I got my first check. He owed about 9,000 in backpay and they're taking extra money out of his paycheck per month to pay that off to my daughter. I put it in savings because I'm married to a real man now that actually loves and supports his family.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My ex is behind about 3grand. I don't do anything, I'm thinking one of these days it will catch up with him. I don't want my boys to know anythings wrong.. We can afford to live without it. He's supposed to provide health ins but doesn't do that either. So if the money comes it does, if not oh well... It's not an income that can be relied on so I just see it as a bonus when it comes...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 6:48 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I've fought through the courts for over 30 yrs and am just now getting something from the dead beat dad. He owes over $60,000.00 plus 12 % interest since the late 70's. He knows how to play the system. He knows the courts won't bother him unless he misses a payment for 3 months so he sends $50 and then nothing for another month or so. He's out to prove he's not going to give me money just like he told the judge during the divorce. He throws "crumbs" of money but that's ok. Those crumbs buy food and toilet paper so it's all good.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:50 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Even if women don't need it, they should take it and put it in a savings for the kids college or car or a down payment for a house when they get married. Don't cheat the children out of what is their's.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:53 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Almost $20,000 and we really do not want it because of the drama it causes. I fought my ex-husband for almost 12 years over custody because he did not want to pay child support. In fact he made my life very miserable. I guess in a way I am glad he is that far behind in child support, because it means I do not have to worry about court appearances, visits from CPS, being trailed by private investigators. I figure that when the kids are of age then I can chase him down for child support and give it all to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I have been getting it regularly for the last 6 years, I had to take my ex to court and the judge reamed him out for not paying it. He pays a whopping $50 a week and knows I will turn him in if he doesn't pay the support. He never sees my son so he needs to pay the support. He chose to not have anything to do with my son and he is losing out on a wonderful and amazing son.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:03 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• tnm786 --- buy some saving bonds, for her college education.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Are you going through the attorney general? Is that what you mean by the child support enforcement agency? If you're doing it through the attorney general they take the money from their paychecks. You have to file with them. If they get so far behind in support they will either have to pay it or go to jail. My ex was $10,000 behind and was given ten years probation for it. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• I should get 600 cause of back payments.. but he's thinking about it in jail!!
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 10:45 PM on Sep. 13, 2009