My child swallowed a penny...how long does this whole poop checking thing take? How long should I wait before taking him in?

My 14 month old swallowed a penny last night , called our pediatrician and he said it will pass just to watch the poop...my question is how long should I wait until taking him in if I don't see it in the poo??? when the pediatrician called back this morning to check in on my baby I wasn't home and my husband didn't ask him all the questions like I would. What do you ladies think? Or should I call the ped. again???

insanemom3

Asked by insanemom3 at 6:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Probably 2-3 days.

Answer by Bmat at 7:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• LOL, my dd swallowed one when she was little and I didn't even know until she pooped it out! So, I have no clue about how long...the question just sprung a memory lol :)
    nikkileerue

Answer by nikkileerue at 6:50 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• just wait and stay calm you did your job by asking his dr what to do.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 6:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• It should take about 2 days or so. Just continue to check her poo.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 6:53 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I ate a penny once - and never told my mom. Till this day she doesn't know I swallowed a penny. I'm still alive and that was 20+ years ago. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I believe you can just continue to wait unless she's showing signs of discomfort. My nephew did the same thing..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2009