I am having problems breastfeeding.

My little girl is 6 days old and my breast are hurting very much. They are bleeding and i am getting very upset. I don't know what to do and my baby needs to eat. HELP

justkier

Asked by justkier at 6:51 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It sounds like you have cracked nipples or mastitis. Do you have lanolin/lansinoh cream or anything else, gel pads etc to help with the pain? I had the same problem. Have you seen a lactation consultant? Your local hospital should let you see an LC for free if you are on medicaid, or maybe for free even if you are not. If you are on WIC, they have certified LCs that can help you too. Hang in there-and whatever you do, don't beat yourself up over it. That will only make things worse. Switching to formula isn't the end of the world. :) Hang in there!
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 6:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• have you tried using a nipple shield? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2585694
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 7:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• try cuping ur breast so they are cone shaped
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:41 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I promise that this difficult phase will pass quickly. Rubbing breastmilk on your sore nipples will help a lot. vitamin e oil (buy a bottle of caps and poke a hole in one) will also help.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:48 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• FORMULA!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Anon-why is that always the answer? Seriously formula causes more issues than it solves.

OP- seek out the help of the lactation consultant at the hospital, by this point it shouldn't hurt to nurse so much, maybe at initial latch but not all the time. Sounds like babies latch needs work. Also look up the local La Leche League, they can send someone to your house to help.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• my nipples did that and the laction nurse gave me a gel pade and believe me it helped a lot. So don't give up just hang in there.
    mommyofone0724

Answer by mommyofone0724 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• definitely try to find a lactation consultant, she can help! and did you join a breastfeeding support group on here and ask them? good luck! hang in there breastfeeding is wonderful once you get through the first few weeks. and a lactation consultant can help you get rid of the pain. :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Tabi, using formula is not the end of the world. I don't even know why breastfeeding moms try to make it look like it is. I was only able to nurse my son for 2 1/2 weeks, then switched to formula and I am glad that I did. My son does very well on it, and I don't have to worry about the inconveniences of breastfeeding.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 11:55 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• sweetmoonem- Formula has NO place in a breastfeeding relationship, you wanna FF thats up to you, but when a mom asks for BFing help and someone says formula NO ONE says anything but the second a FFing mom comes on and says my baby has reflux, is lactose intollerant, soy intollerant, can't poop, etc etc and someone says why not try to breastfeed she is the most evil person in the world for suggesting something that has been proving superior, easier to absorb and more nutritionally complete. You can see Bfing as inconvenient but in my opinion anything done to raise my childrens chances of having better outcomes in the future is worth an inconvenience, thats my job as a parent. Sorry if you see doing your BEST...when you can(because so many women can't), as an inconvenience.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 13, 2009