How can I get my child to talk?

He only says momma, dadda and babba.
I want him to say more words, any advise?

Luzbeth

Asked by Luzbeth at 7:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It takes time for them to learn new words. They learn by mimicking you so just keep saying the words you want him to say but don't push too hard. They have to learn concepts of what the words mean as well and that takes time.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:08 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• mom to mom do not push your kid to do anything enjoy every little thing they do and say,if they take longer its good they stay cuter longer .
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:15 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Keep the TV off! That is the first thing my son's speech therapist told me. Also try not to use to many words when talking to them. A good sentence would be "*child's name* eat dinner?" A bad sentence would be"*child's name* let's go to the kitchen, sit in your highchair and we can all eat dinner together." Children who are learning to talk should only be talked to in short 2-5 word sentences(Excluding their name. You should always start the sentence with their name to grab their attention) If you use too many words they tone you out and don't hear what you are saying because it is too high above their heads. Narrate your day, say everything you do even when you flip the light switch say "Light on!", sing silly songs about changing the stinky diaper and about taking a bath, etc. Point to things and let your child touch them/slobber on them.(unless it can hurt them, obviously) Repeat yourself often. Read a book a day.
    babyboomboom

Answer by babyboomboom at 7:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Don't push too hard. Kids learn at their own pace. Unless he's behind for his age group, I wouldn't worry. (If he gets to 18 months and doesn't have at least 6-10 words, mention it to your doctor.) Spend lots of time talking to your child about the world around him and reading to him. Having him look at you when you talk also helps as the child can see how your mouth moves as you talk. The more he hears, the more he'll start to pickup.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:22 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Want him to learn fast, put in a Bee Smart Baby movie. Play it once a day and soon he won't shut up! You'll be on here begging us to tell you ways to get him to stop. I'll send you one of mine, heaven knows my girls don't need them any long - they never stop talking.

But there is something you should know, boys usually take much longer to talk. It's not that they can't it's that they are men! Men aren't big talkers unless they are talking dirty. Show him his poop and say "poop" I promise you he'll say poop with in minutes.

Go here and tell me which Bee Smart Baby movie you want: http://stuckathomemom.com/?cat=37&paged=2

Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 7:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• How old is he? If only a year, he's doing just fine. If he's two, you should have already called early intervention for evaluations to see if he would benefit from speech therapy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Children understand a lot more than they can actually say (or speak). He'll catch up soon. Don't push it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• AGE?
    DO U READ TO HIM?
    REMEMBER BOYS ARE WLKERS GIRLS ARE TALKERS!!
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:54 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I felt the same way about my DS. I talked to him all the time...if we walked through the grocery store, I said "help me look for the ____, it's in a red box" etc. He talked, but it didn't seem like a lot... just basic things and, of course, I worried that he was behind. Nope! Right before his 2nd b'day his language TOOK OFF! They should say around 50 words at 2. DS had 200! There are some days I don't think he is ever quiet. lol Enjoy it while you can.
    Also, if you speak two languages at home, it can sometimes take longer for them to start talking. Boys do speak a little later than girls do, as someone already said.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• What helped with my dd is i've always talked to her as an child. Not a baby. It's hard not to do the baby talk but it makes things worse if you do. We read books together like CRAZY...she's 2 yrs old and it's her fav thing to do.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 11:04 PM on Sep. 12, 2009