My son will not eat....

Hello ladies. My son is 15 months old and I think he may be teething. He had a really high fever yesterday, but no other symptoms at all. For the last few days he will not eat, only a few grapes or a couple crackers here and there. My Mom said to not be too concerned, because "he'll eat when he's hungry." He is my first child, is it normal for teething toddlers to not eat. Mind you he normally has a very healthy appetite. He wants to nurse all the time, normally he nurses about 2-4 times a day. Any comments, suggestions you could offer would be great!
Thanks a lot!

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 7:27 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if he's drinking, try not to worry too much. By high fever, I wonder how high, because teething ususally does not cause a fever over 100-100.5. But if you were to talk to a doctor he/she would probably say something like "it's probably a virus". If he's acting okay otherwise (like playing normally), he may just be going through a phase where he's too busy to eat. Other things are more interesting.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• my little one is like that every time she goes threw a growth spur.right after a few days of not eating it seems all she wants to do is eat.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:49 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Thanks ladies. He is drinking, but not as much as normally. He really only wants to nurse. His fever was 102.9. He is playing mostly normal, he is a bit clingy and whiny. I hope it gets better soon, it makes me worried when my baby is not doing well.
    Thanks for your comments.
    Julians_Momma

Answer by Julians_Momma at 9:17 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• yeah is normal and it will get worse so get used to it, if i cna get my 30 mth old to eat one good meal a day am happy
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:53 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My son used to go through stages of not eating and the pediatrician always said that children will not starve themselves. Just offer high nutrition foods so when he does eat it really counts. I also would not be surprised if in a few days he seems to be eating everything in the house!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2009