hello Friends need help about Selective Mutetism

Hello i have a 3 year old son who was just diagnosed with Selective Mutetism. Does any one have any information. I tried to get services for him and was told that being selective mutetism is a behavior and that he does not qualify for nothing. Please help.

lolly721

Asked by lolly721 at 7:38 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you Googled it?

Answer by louise2 at 7:54 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• If he doesn't qualify for "nothing", then he does qualify for something. They should have given you a list of services!

What about the doctor who gave the diagnosis? Where did he direct you to go? If you were simply handed a diagnosis and shown the door, you need to go elsewhere for a second opinion (for insurance purposes), you need to file a complaint with your insurance company against the doctor and the staff for not giving you direction for your son.

Get proactive NOW. Make calls. Call your special education department in your school district. Call early intervention and ask for guidance. Find a parent advocacy group in your area.

Doesn't qualify for anything...that's bull.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• i had him evaluated by a psyhologist during the eval since he would not talk to her i would ask him the questions and he would whisper them to me. becuase he was able to answer my question his IQ was high. the spychologist recommended a small class room.
    but what they said is that his IQ is high he does not qualify for a intregrated class room.
    what they recommended was put him is school and wait for him to stroggle in class and they will reopen the case.
    i am taking him to another docotor to get him re evaluated.
    im am so upset becuase Selective Mutetism is a major problem but they do not see it like this.
    lolly721

Answer by lolly721 at 10:31 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• There are CM groups specifically dealing with selective mutism, they have lots of information. My now 7 year old has SM, but I was never told there wasn't anything that could be done for it. We was in speech therapy until he was 3, that's when he was diagnosed. I disagreed with what my sons dr. recommended, meds and a special needs classroom, so I found a new dr. I've done lots of SM research and worked with my ds continuously since his diagnosis. I'm proud to say he's in a regular classroom and doing well. He doesn't talk often, but he can when he needs to. Take charge of your child and the care he receives, don't let doctors push you around and tell you it's hopeless, or needlessly drug your son.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Sep. 13, 2009

• My younger sister has selective mutism. My mom took her to psychologists that were able to help her - the ones that tried prescribing medicine were a waste of time - medicine doesn't help. She stayed in a regular classroom, she just needed some help with organization and focusing on school work which the school helped with. When she was in junior high, she used to tell mom that it was easier for her to give a speech and talk in front of the whole class than to carry on face to face conversations. She started working with animals which helped her speak more with people. She loves her art. She's drawn a lot of pictures and written several stories which my mom is trying to get published. She never used to even speak to me, or our dad or grandparents. I think if he has something that he really enjoys and loves doing, find him someway to express himself through those activities. Good Luck!!!!
    comboc1

Answer by comboc1 at 12:49 PM on Sep. 13, 2009

• thank you so much for your help. i will see what new activities to try.
    lolly721

Answer by lolly721 at 9:43 PM on Sep. 14, 2009