Is there a need for a 2nd baptism?

My friend was baptised Lutheran, when she converted she was baptised again. What is the point of the 2nd baptism? I have never heard of it. I know when people convert to the Catholic Church they are not baptised again if there was already a valid baptism.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:05 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know and i don't think that it matters. God knows what's in your heart so there is no need to debate the rituals.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I was really asking for a debate, just the purpose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, ONE BAPTISM, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Problem is is that there are sooooo many different denominations and faith. But God planned for ONE.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• I was baptized twice. The second time was to publicly mark my repentance and return to Christ after straying. (Acts 2:38,Acts 22:16 ) Sometimes people are re-baptized when they accept a truth that is new to them or when switching belief systems. (Acts 19:1-5)
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:23 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

--------------------------------
    Ephesians 4:4-6 is stating that there is only one TYPE of baptism that is Bible-based. Look at the context--there is also only One God and Father of all and only one type of baptism. Yes, God only planned for one and in the end it will be as He intended. His true people, not a religious institution, will stand as God's one faith. These people are scattered throughout all denominations.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 8:31 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• If you were baptized as an infant, but now you are grown and understand that baptism symbolizes the promise to God for a good concience, then you really should get baptized again. This is showing too that you are going to obey, and part of obeying is getting baptized.
    Baptism illustrates a believer's identification with Christ's death, burial, and resurrection. Romans 6:2 ...We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? (How did the infant make the decision to die to sin?) Romans 6:3-4 Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
    The bible tells us how some people received the Holy Spirit when they got baptized.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My cousin was baptized twice. Once in the hospital right after she was born because they didn't think she would make it. (she was born 10 weeks early and that was 27 yrs ago) The second time was a few months after her birth at church and so they families could participate. Only one is recognized though.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:02 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Infant Baptism mirrors the sign of the Old Covenant (circumcision, which was performed on 8 day old babies) with the sign of the New Covenant (Baptism). Circumcision served to graft an infant (who under the OT was not old enough to concent or believe on their own, however, that apparently must not have been a qualification to receive the sign of the covenant) into the body of believers. Those who practice infant Baptism, as the sign of the New Covenant, believe the same , that it grafts the child into the body of Christ. Some denoms believe this temporarily offers salvation for the child's soul. My particular denomination does not, but we do believe that it invites the Holy Spirit to dwell with the child to influence the life of the child and bring them to believe one day. It is a solemn vow between the parents, God and the church to follow God's lead for that child, just as in the days of old with circumcision.
    (cont)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:13 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Most denominations that accept/perform infant baptisms will not ask you to be re-baptised to join a church because (to quote my pastor) "they believe that the Holy Spirit did it right the first time" and find rebaptising someone after they've had a valid baptism to be a disrespectul denial of the Holy Spirit's work in that person's life (the fact that the person has come to Christ is evidence that the Holy Spirit has indeed moved them). If someone really wanted and felt the need to be rebaptised, that is between that person and the Holy Spirit and I do not believe that in that case, my particular church would deny them.

As for the Catholic church, like you said and as far as I was aware, Protestant baptisms are now accepted as valid. Churches that do not accept infant baptism (such as Baptists, I believe) will require someone to receive a believer's baptism to join.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:20 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Infant baptism isn't in the bible. Infant baptism to replace circumcision isn't in the bible. No such thing as an infant Covental baptism. Those are man made practices. And, infant baptism changes the way people are saved, and causes confusion to those who want to be saved.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Sep. 13, 2009