Clingy baby need advice.....

I have been a SAHM but I just started college and I go MWF from 8am to 12 home by 12:45pm, then on Tuesday Thrusday from 12pm to 12:50 home at 1:30pm. Today is my first full day being home since I started college and I can sit my son on the floor and he will start to cry. And if I dont go pick him up he will crawl to me and tug at my pants. He is being really bad clingy, my parents have him in there room with him for me to do homework but I was wondering after Im finished with homework, what can I do to make him not be so clingy to me? He is 8mnths old also......

EDIT: I am not complaining about my son being clingy, I got bashed by a lady when I posted in Advice for moms......This is my first child and I have no clue what to do to help he be at easy with me going back to college

Magen85

Asked by Magen85 at 8:29 PM on Sep. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is probably more clingy than normal because he misses you. How much time do you send with him when you get home?
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 8:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Sorry, no advice here. I just wanted to let you know I have a clingy baby, too. I just try to satisfy his need for me at the moment and after a while he will usually get over it. If there is something I'm trying to do and I've established that he isn't hungry or wet/dirty I go ahead and finish before picking him up.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 8:32 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• yeah he probably misses you, you should make time to just have mommy baby time and play with him and let him have your un-divided attention...
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• My 9 month old is the same way, and I'm home all day everyday with her so I can just imagine how your 8 month old is doing with you being away and then coming back. He's just going through the separation anxiety, he's too young to know right now that you will come back, so even though he's probably ok while you're gone, when you come back he wants to make sure you won't be out of his sight again. This phase will pass, I have a 3 year old who also went through the same thing and she's always off doing her own thing now. Just reassure him everytime you leave and come back "Mommy will be back" "Mommy's here" etc. Good luck with school!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:35 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Starting around 7 or 8 months some babies go through a phase of separation anxiety. Try to spend as much time with him as possible to reinforce that you will come back.
    Emmoney

Answer by Emmoney at 8:40 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• When I get home from school, I go put my things in my room then head straight to my parents room where he is and pick him. I look at him and say "I missed my little man" then he laughs at me and smiles. My dad gets off work at 3 home by 3:18pm, so my dad loves to spend time with him so i let my dad spend time but I spend time with the baby also. I hate having to leave him but going to college is the best thing I can do for the both of us so that I can get a better job in the end.
    Magen85

Answer by Magen85 at 9:14 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Can you study outloud so he can hear your voice?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:19 PM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Just put time aside of your busy day and spend time with you "little man" you are his mother and he misses you! take him somewhere a few times a week, play with him, go on walks. go to a park and study! school is a priority too, but being a mother is a bigger priority than any.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Sep. 12, 2009